Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2unleashed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Jersey
Hello

I am in the market to buy the windows 7 software so I can use bootcamp to launch Microsoft on my 2010 15' macbook pro. I know there are three different widows 7 (home, professional and ultimate). I need help on deciding which windows software is the right one for me. I am a college student and just like to do minor gaming. I just need help on deciding because I don't know what are the differences among the three. I tried talking to someone at bestbuy to help me out but the person didn't know what they were talking about.

Lenas

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Just get Home Premium. Pro/Ultimate are mostly for network management and legacy support.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Just get Home Premium. Pro/Ultimate are mostly for network management and legacy support.

I agree if you are just wanting it for the gaming. You mentioned you were in college and if you are going to need it to get onto college networks, you might want to spring for the Pro so you have all of the necessary networking components. Usually you can get a cheap version of Pro from your school or MSDN with a .edu email address. I would check into that (I got mine for like $30 and some schools give it away to the students as part of their licensing agreements with MS and educational distributions).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.