Need help - Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benthewraith, Oct 16, 2008.

1. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

[​IMG]

I'm having a hard time diagnosing the problem.

2. tnhick macrumors member

Had similar problems a while back with McAffee Anti-virus. Mine was both a CPU and memory problem, but then again the CPU was only an old 1.8GHz iBook G4 (rest its soul). So, it may be a program running in the background it may not be. Have you recently installed a lot of new programs and have anti-virus software? if so, give it some time. Is this a new computer and Spotlight is indexing new information you just put onto it? if so, give it some time, and it should return to normal. If not, you'll have to ask one of the real pros around here.:D

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Doesn't look like a problem to me. Sure, it says that 1.81 GB is used, but half of that is Inactive. That just means that a program put data into RAM but is not using it at the moment. If another program needs that space, it will get replaced.

You can think of the Inactive RAM as occupied free space...sorta like a place holder.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's not a problem.

It's only a problem if you don't what's going on and it looks like this:
    Picture 1.png

It's when you have no free RAM, and a lot of RAM active. Of course this is me induced, but it's to illustrate a point.