Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I bought a new Macbook Pro, and transferred the data from my old MBP via Firewire.
I made an image of the Boot Camp partition on the old MBP, but it was having a problem I hadn't had before; when trying to image to a DMG, it was unable to mount the drive and failed. I tried to image it using the "special" format, and that seemed to work.
However, when trying to restore the image to a BC partition on the new MBP, it errors; "Image file not found".

The old MBP is still available, and the BC partition is still intact, but I still cannot create a DMG, and cannot restore the image I created previously on the new MBP.

Both MBPs are 10.6.6, using Winclone, attempting to image 64-bit vista install.
Anyone know of a solution? I am unable to get Windows 7 as of yet, and do not want to go through the hassle of rebuilding the partition from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Both MBPs are 10.6.6, using Winclone, attempting to image 64-bit vista install.
Anyone know of a solution? I am unable to get Windows 7 as of yet, and do not want to go through the hassle of rebuilding the partition from scratch.
Are the two MBPs the same general hardware rev? If not, you would be better off reinstalling. Windows doesn't take kindly to swapping hardware.

If you can post your ~/Library/Logs/Winclone.log file as an attachment or sent it to me in a PM I can try and take a look and see what is going wrong.

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Old MBP is 15" 2009
New MBP is 17" 2010
But that's a bit besides the point just yet, I haven't even gotten to properly image the drive from the source computer.

Uploading them as attachments doesn't seem to be working. I'll try again a bit later, or upload them elsewhere.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Old MBP is 15" 2009
New MBP is 17" 2010
But that's a bit besides the point just yet, I haven't even gotten to properly image the drive from the source computer.

It speaks to the likelihood of success if you invest a lot more effort into this. IMHO the change in chipset from the 2009 to the 2010 model makes it less likely that this will be worth the effort.

I'll take a look at the logs if you can get them to me (My MR account is e-mail enabled) to see if I can get a better idea of what exactly might be going wrong.

Just remember that Winclone is designed to clone and restore to the same system, not for this kind of migration.

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Old MBP Winclone log (Imaging attempts)
[Links removed]
New MBP Winclone log (Restore attempts)
[Links removed]

If there's an issue with the migration itself, that's a different issue.
Right now, I'm just concerned with trying to get a proper image of the drive, because I won't know if it will or will not work until I can try it.

I understand what Winclone is for, I know there's a possibility of this not working, but if it doesn't I'm SOL so I am just going to do what I can.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I understand what Winclone is for, I know there's a possibility of this not working, but if it doesn't I'm SOL so I am just going to do what I can.

Just making sure you are aware of the risks.

Code:
WARNING: Dirty volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option.

The dirty bit is set. Can you run CHKDSK /F on your filesystem from Windows.

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Ran the chkdsk, but no change; winclone still errors out.
Looking in the log, I didn't spot the previous warning (Dirty volume mount...), though it is possible I may have overlooked it. Everything else seems to be similar.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Ran the chkdsk, but no change; winclone still errors out.
Looking in the log, I didn't spot the previous warning (Dirty volume mount...), though it is possible I may have overlooked it. Everything else seems to be similar.

So it's no longer complaining about the file system dirty bit. Good.

Code:
diskimagetype is compressed

The author of Winclone recommended turning off compression for both Snow Leopard and W7 compatibility. Can you try that? This makes Winclone use ntfsclone instead of hdiutil, and hdiutil is the thing that is bombing here.

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
The author of Winclone recommended turning off compression for both Snow Leopard and W7 compatibility. Can you try that? This makes Winclone use ntfsclone instead of hdiutil, and hdiutil is the thing that is bombing here.

This seems to have done the trick, it's at around 10% right now and no errors yet; before it didn't even start before erroring. I'm not holding my breath that this will restore to the new MBP, but the future at least looks a little brighter.

I'll post when it's done. If for some reason I don't, it should be fair to assume it is because I am too busy jumping for joy that this worked out.

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
The disk imaging went through without a problem.

I connected the old MBP to the new MBP via firewire, and trying to restore, and it errors out.
Error log

Not sure if it's due to the image itself, getting it via firewire (directly off of the drive), or otherwise. I'm copying it to the new MBP now to see if that might fix the issue.

EDIT: Nope, no joy. Still broken.
EDIT2: Waaaait a second, I just realized that the partition is in FAT32, but the Imaged drive was NTFS. How can I fix that without having Windows installed? Can I somehow use the firewire & the old MBP's Windows install, or something?

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The disk imaging went through without a problem.

I connected the old MBP to the new MBP via firewire, and trying to restore, and it errors out.
Error log

Not sure if it's due to the image itself, getting it via firewire (directly off of the drive), or otherwise. I'm copying it to the new MBP now to see if that might fix the issue.

EDIT: Nope, no joy. Still broken.
EDIT2: Waaaait a second, I just realized that the partition is in FAT32, but the Imaged drive was NTFS. How can I fix that without having Windows installed? Can I somehow use the firewire & the old MBP's Windows install, or something?

Again it's hdiutil that is bombing. How odd. It's trying to attach the image and failing.

If all is well it will replace the FAT32 placeholder with a new NTFS partition, so that's all normal.

Are you running any software that could potentially be interfering with hdiutil. Maybe some Antivirus, Automounter, NTFS driver, or some HDD vendor software that monitors attached external drives?

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
If all is well it will replace the FAT32 placeholder with a new NTFS partition, so that's all normal.

Okay, good.

Are you running any software that could potentially be interfering with hdiutil. Maybe some Antivirus, Automounter, NTFS driver, or some HDD vendor software that monitors attached external drives?

As far as I know, the only thing that comes close is MacFUSE (just the library, not even ntfs-3g).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
As far as I know, the only thing that comes close is MacFUSE (just the library, not even ntfs-3g).
Hmm. I haven't played with it myself, can you remove it or update it easily? Something is preventing hdiutil from doing what should be basic operations.

B

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
can you remove it or update it easily?

It's in the prefs pane, but "Remove MacFUSE" doesn't seem to do much of anything. I'm at the latest update outside of beta updates.

It shouldn't do anything, MacFUSE doesn't even do anything until NTFS-3G or some application developed with it is run.

Celestial1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I already uninstalled what I could of it, for good measure, but no change. Like I said MacFUSE isn't like an application that runs in the background, it's the core library for applications to build upon.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I already uninstalled what I could of it, for good measure, but no change. Like I said MacFUSE isn't like an application that runs in the background, it's the core library for applications to build upon.

I get that, just don't have any other threads to pull on.

Do you have an extra HDD you could install a plain copy of OSX on and install nothing but Wiclone 2.2 and ntfs-tools on it? Maybe even just booting from the Mac OS X install disc and running Winclone to see if hdiutil still bombs out.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.