Need Help Moving iTunes Library from XP to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by awgoo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. awgoo macrumors member

Hey guys, I finally gave in and bought my first Mac on Thursday, :D just to hold me over till redesigned mb's or mbp's arrive. So you're dealing with a total Mac newbie. So far, I love what I see.

I have been trying to figure out a way to transfer my music library from my xp notebook to my new Mini and I've backed up my music on my external hard drive. I searched the forums, but didn't find much on explaining how to do it. I haven't rated my music, so I don't need to worry about that. I have particular playlists that I have compiled that I want to keep and I also have manually organized my music in the iTunes folder and I want the file structures to remain the same. Is this possible? Can someone please direct me in the right direction or let me know how they did it? If I'm posting this in the wrong section, please let me know. Any tips or info will be much appreciated. Thanks again.

2. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Search your XP machine and find your iTunes folder, then you drag that folder over to your Mac. Then open iTunes and click import. It will import your songs and playlists. Pretty easy - and I'm a newbie too!

3. awgoo thread starter macrumors member

So I need to import the whole itunes folder from xp, not the itunes music folder that contains just the music. Right?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yep the iTunes folder holds information for playlists, songs counts, album artwork for mp3s (mp4s hold album artwork themselves).

5. awgoo thread starter macrumors member

i tried that but none of my playlists show up. what am i doing wrong? anybody know?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try importing the library or choosing it when holding option when you open iTunes.

7. AndyK Contributor

AndyK

In the preferences set iTunes to copy the files to your iTunes library on import.

Plug in your external drive and use the iTunes import.

All your music will now be on your mac and in the library and any future cd's you add with be there too.