Need help! Moving Photos to External HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by michlove, Dec 1, 2012.

1. michlove macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and just bought an iMac today. I'm trying to move photos from iMac to my external hard drive but I can't seem to able to move it...

Pls help....thx.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Is the external hard drive plugged directly into the Mac, or is it attached to the network? If plugged into the mac, does it show up on the desktop or finder sidebar?

3. simsaladimbamba

Have you checked Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions yet?
    [​IMG]

It is probably formatted with the "Windows NT Filesytem", which is NTFS, for which you need drivers in Mac OS X to be able to write to it.

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. michlove thread starter macrumors newbie

i've checked the sharing & permission and it's NTFS

----------

and my external HD is plugged in and the icon appears on the desktop

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Is there anything important on the hard drive? If so, copy it over to your mac, and use Disk Utility to reformat the drive to HFS+. This will erase all data on the drive.

6. michlove thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, let me try that now...

7. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Great!

8. michlove thread starter macrumors newbie

i've copied all files frm the drive to Mac. How do i use the Disk Utilities to format the drive?

I see a few options : First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID, Restore

9. simsaladimbamba

This might help:

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

10. michlove thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i followed the above and i can copy photos to my external drive now but when i plug the drive to a windows base laptop, i cant detect the drive! help!

11. Hasn'tbeensober macrumors member

you need to install mac drive into PC window base system
    read this:
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)
    Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
    Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac OS X system files.
    To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
    To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
    Maximum file size: 8EiB
    Maximum volume size: 8EiB
    Mac OS X: Mac OS Extended format (HFS Plus) volume and file limits
    You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)

12. Ademordna macrumors regular

Hang on.......I just ordered an iMac, and will need to transfer many image files from my old external onto it when it arrives. The images were created on a PC, so does this mean I will have issues transferring them over?

I plan to write new works to a mac formatted external, but do need access to this old drive too.:eek:

13. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It doesn't matter where the images were created, just how the hard drive is formatted. You should be OK, as you are just copying files, and all that requires is Read support (not Read&Write), which Mac has for NTFS out of the box.

14. simsaladimbamba

Maybe have a look at this:

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

15. michlove thread starter macrumors newbie

TQ very much to all for your help! :)

16. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

If you're moving them for backup then all you need to do is put them in iPhoto then turn on Time Machine. Done.