Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celedral

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
The registration does not get overwritten when you register it. If someone registered it in July, then Apple considers that person the original owner, and there's a whole slew of steps you have to go through to transfer the registration information.

Because it was purchased from a third party, most likely the registration is showing up like that because that's when apple sold it to Micro Center.

What does Apple.com show for warranty information? It will tell you the AppleCare expiration date, which will tell you when Apple thinks it was originally purchased. If you have an Apple ID, you can log in to see your registered computer as well.

I bought a Mac Pro last year and had something similar happen. Wrong configuration, about $1k difference. Apple returned it and swapped it for the right one no questions asked.

I buy a couple hundred Macs a year for my business, so I've been through just about everything warranty related with Apple.

Checked the apple w/ the serial number and it shows no information and requires you You to enter the date of purchase. I hoping I can get some sort of documents showing that we did not infact register it in July

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Checked the apple w/ the serial number and it shows no information and requires you You to enter the date of purchase. I hoping I can get some sort of documents showing that we did not infact register it in July

You really need to 'phone Apple and explain the situation so that someone will physically check their database.

A few years ago, I registered AppleCare for an iPhone. Subsequently, I had occasion to check via the website and it indicated that I had not registered the 'phone! I 'phoned Apple and they soon located my registration. I was advised that registrations can sometimes get "lost" and a physical check can locate them.

sam223

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
This happened to me when the new aluminum macbooks were released. I bought my first macbook from the apple store and after 2 days I checked my harddrive and it was 160GB instead of 250 GB. After checking About my mac noticed the serial number on the box and the actual machine did not match. (they had different specs as well). Took it back to the store returned and they gave me a new one. It was very frustrating experience since it was my first mac and I was made to look like a thief. The apple store manager didn't make a big deal about it. Must be happening a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.