Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I purchased an ipod about two or three weeks ago, and the first thing it asks me after i sync it is to update to 2.0 for about $10. So, instead, I jailbreak it to 2.0.2 or something and get a bunch of stuff on it for free. Well not a "bunch" of stuff. Just a couple of apps here and there. A few days ago I updated my itunes to 3.0 or whatever version introduced Genius, and I notice that under my ipod summary, it recognizes it as 2.0, which means apple thinks I paid for it I supposed. Itunes then asks me to update to 2.0.2, which I already have I guess. Nonetheless, I click ok, because at this point I think my computer blue screened on my twice after connecting my ipod with itunes running. So I thought and actual update would help. Well the update downloads and then I get another bluescreen, and now everytime I turn the ipod on it has a picture of the usb with the itunes logo above it. Even when I hold down the home button and attempt to manually restore it, it will cause my computer to blue screen. Now, even if itunes is open or not, and I connect my ipod to the computer, it will blue screen. Can anyone help me!

sgtboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2007
Uninstall and reinstall itunes (from the site, redownload it)

Known issue with Windows

You will NOT lose your music

ipoddity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Alrighty, I've followed the steps and am currently reinstalling itunes. When your comp blue screened did you get a screen after that prompting to start up in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or normally? I'm not sure if I'm getting a typical "blue screen". The screen is blue but it says the computer had to shut down to protect data or something like that.

Strategy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
It was blue screen with aapl64.sys USB driver or something. It would reboot itself and I selected start windows normally.

Im on Vista 64 btw.

outbackpaul

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
It was blue screen with aapl64.sys USB driver or something. It would reboot itself and I selected start windows normally.

Im on Vista 64 btw.

Could be a chipset driver problem. I fought that for years on mine till I built a new one.

ipoddity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
alright everything worked out fine. I reinstalled itunes and restored my ipod. Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.