Need Help: My MacBook won't start or stay on unless it's connected to a charger.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Captain Brooks, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Captain Brooks macrumors newbie

OK. One day I was just using my MacBook when it shut down for no reason. I tried to turn it on, but it instantly turned on and shut down one second after after I pressed it. It only turns on if it's connected to a charger. If the charger is disconnected, it shuts down. Could somebody tell me what to do?

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

remove the battery, clean the contacts, reinsert securely.

3. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

could try to reset the power management, cant remember the keyboard short cut as i dont use a laptop, try apple.com/support

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

How old is the MacBook ? Do you have AppleCare ?

Depending on the answers - might be a faulty logicboard.

5. mpw Guest

It sounds like a knackered battery, mine did this and when I walked into my Apple Reseller and they didn't blink or query whether it was still under warranty; just popped out the old one and fitted a new.

6. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

The same thing happened to my son's MacBook. I apologize for posting without remembering the cause, but it was repaired at no charge by Apple. It must be a known issue, they repaired it at the store in two days.
    Run it by the geniuses at the Apple store, they should take care of it right away.