Need help! My MBP superdrive doesnt work! I need to reinstall MacOSX..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huckelberry, May 6, 2011.

1. huckelberry macrumors newbie

Situation: I have a 2007 Macbook Pro.:rolleyes: The Superdrive no longer will read cd's or dvd's.:( I just purchased a new iMac.:D Now I want to sell my MBP but I need to wipe it clean and reinstall the system software before I put it on Craigslist. How can I do that with a broken Superdrive? :confused:

I am thinking maybe I can connect it to my iMac via firewire and boot the MBP in target disk mode. But then what? How do I wipe it and reinstall mac osx?:apple:

Thanks in advance.;)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You are correct, but your MBP in target disk mode. It will then mount on your iMac like a regular drive. From there you can get any files off it you want then you can go into disk utilities and wipe the disk and reinstall the OS by using the iMacs optical drive.

That said you'll be better off buying a new optical drive and installing before selling. The cost of an optical drive is much less than what you'll have to discount your MBP to for it not being 100% functional. Plus people will suspect other things are wrong if the optical drive doesn't work.