Need help - Network Mac Pro to Win XP via Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevelaw, Mar 16, 2008.

1. stevelaw macrumors member

I am trying to access files on my Win XP machine via network connection thru Time Capsule (using OS X). The Win machine shows up as "shared" in Finder, but I get an error message (you do not have permission to access this server")when I try to connect

Any tips?

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

XP keeps getting upgrade with Vista features. Sharing to specific PCs on the network is a Vista feature. You may need to go into Sharing on the XP machine and tell it to share specifically with the Mac.

3. stevelaw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am pretty sure I have all settings on the PC set to share, and even spent an hour on the phone and remote session with Dell, who finally blamed the Apple side. Of course, previously I had called Apple Care and they blamed the Windows side.

They're making it awful tough for those of us trying to switch over. Unfortunately my business requires Windows access for certain software not yet available for the Mac.

I'll keep trying!

4. kingpikey macrumors member

Couple of general things to try... (based on my OSX / Win XP situation)

Make sure simple file sharing is turned off: Tools > Folder Options > View

In OS X, try using the "Connect as" option to connect to your XP box, then put in your user / pass.

Other things to check: Firewall settings for programs like Norton Internet Security, Mcafee, Windows firewall, etc. I know from much experience Norton Internet Security blocks windows file sharing by default.

Hope this helps.