Need help networking a printer with windows and macs!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Petehab, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Petehab macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have recently purchased two macbook's with leopard on them. I also have a mega PC with windows pro x64 on it.

I need to know how i can have one printer running through them all. My printer is not wireless so previously I use one PC as a 'server' with the printer plugged in and then everything runs through there. I want to do the same with my PC as the 'server' and my macbooks running wirelessly into them.

Is this possible?

cheers

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

It is possible, although the result may depend on the availability of the drivers for the printer.
    Usually you install the printer on the PC and activate the sharing for it. Then you go in the printer preference panel and click the plus button to add the printer. You should then select the Windows tab. There you should see the workgroup of the PC, inside it the PC name and then the shared printers conencted to it.
    Once you found it you will have to select the correct driver for that printer. If you don't find it you will have to search for an alternate one.

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Leopard has most printer drivers already preinstalled on the OS. Also, all the printer I've used so far have mac drivers it shouldn't be a problem.