Need help New harddrive late09 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 213inc, Oct 9, 2011.

1. 213inc macrumors newbie

213inc

I ordered a new hard drive for my late 09 macbook i never changed a hard drive and i keep seein to beware of static and to get a anti static mat. Is there anything i can do beside buy a anti static mat. Also i would like to know should i upgrade to lion.

Thanks for any input.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You don't need an anti-static mat to install a hard drive.

It's advisable if completely disassembling a laptop to fit a new logic board or the like but not for drives or other user-replaceable parts.

3. 213inc thread starter macrumors newbie

213inc

thank you for that info my hard drive should b here tomorrow

----------

also i had a friend put some programs on my macbook is there away i can transfer them over to the new one i dont want to copy everything from my old hard drive to the new one.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Just don't go moonwalking on a nylon carpet with the drive in your hand and you'll be fine. :)

----------

Depends what the apps are. Some will drag and drop from the applications folder, others install stuff into the system folder.

When I put a bigger drive in this MacBook I backed everything up via Time Machine, installed a clean copy of Snow Leopard onto the new drive then used Migration Assistant to restore all my settings and applications from the Time Machine Backup and deleted the crap I didn't need any longer.

Others will advocate disk cloning utilities like CCC or SuperDuper but they didn't work properly for me.

5. 213inc thread starter macrumors newbie

213inc

i have the cs5 master suite thats all that i care about i really dont want all the other crap i have