Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowgerbil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
hello. I don't know much at all about computers so could use some help.
I am getting no picture from my mac. I have tried hooking it to a different monitor with no luck and have used a different vga cable to connect with no luck so it is something wrong with the computer itself.
The computer turns on fine (I can hit the play button on keyboard and get itunes to play music)

I have contacted a local repair shop asking for a quote or idea what the issue is, but it is midnight and won't know till tomorrow at earliest. Am sure am going to lose sleep over this so coming here to see if anyone can tell me the likely culprit and how much I should expect to have to pay to fix the issue.

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
Hello,

First thing to do is not too panic. Second thing would be to tell us a little more detail. Mac type, model etc, graphics card and connection to monitor, ie mini display port adapter etc.

One thing you could try is a PRAM reset, google that and get back to us with your details. And if your anywhere near an Apple store you may be able to book a Genius appointment. Good luck!

hello. I don't know much at all about computers so could use some help.
I am getting no picture from my mac. I have tried hooking it to a different monitor with no luck and have used a different vga cable to connect with no luck so it is something wrong with the computer itself.
The computer turns on fine (I can hit the play button on keyboard and get itunes to play music)

I have contacted a local repair shop asking for a quote or idea what the issue is, but it is midnight and won't know till tomorrow at earliest. Am sure am going to lose sleep over this so coming here to see if anyone can tell me the likely culprit and how much I should expect to have to pay to fix the issue.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Sometimes it could be just removing the videocard and cleaning off the dust. But would help your providing more info about your machine.

yellowgerbil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Hello,

First thing to do is not too panic. Second thing would be to tell us a little more detail. Mac type, model etc, graphics card and connection to monitor, ie mini display port adapter etc.

One thing you could try is a PRAM reset, google that and get back to us with your details. And if your anywhere near an Apple store you may be able to book a Genius appointment. Good luck!

I bought it about a year and a half ago refurbished, it is the same as this http://www.macs4u.com/products/Mac-Pro-2.66Ghz-4%2dCore-with-Solid-State-Drive.html
except that it only has a 500gb harddrive instead of a tb

The connection to the monitor is a vga with a dvi to vga adapter added so will fit.

PRAM test didn't help

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
I bought it about a year and a half ago refurbished, it is the same as this http://www.macs4u.com/products/Mac-Pro-2.66Ghz-4%2dCore-with-Solid-State-Drive.html
except that it only has a 500gb harddrive instead of a tb

The connection to the monitor is a vga with a dvi to vga adapter added so will fit.

PRAM test didn't help

So PRAM reset didn't work. And your confident that the you've tried other cables and adapters to the monitor. If in doubt, try and connect the monitor with the same cables to another computer to verify they work, sometimes it's the weakest link in the chain that doesn't work.

Try as Macsonic has suggested, just pulling the card out, with the power off and reseating it back into the machine.

My next port of call would be to purchase a new/secondhand graphics card, should you not be able to beg/borrow a friends from another Aplle Mac Pro. A cheap card that works in most is the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 120 (for Mac Pro), and can usually be found on eBay and other sites. Swop that out with the existing card. And hopefully your monitor should work with that card. Report back!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.