Need Help Now, Mac Os X 10.4.11 Nothing Works

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nbor47, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nbor47 macrumors newbie

I was using my mac one day, then everything "unexpectedly quit," and nothing on my mac will work. I cant even open system preferences or terminal to try and fix the problem. Im using an iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.11 installed.

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

If you have enough free space, perform an archive and install. Sometimes, reinstalling the combo update (such as the 10.4.11 combo update) fixes issues like that as well. If you have external media or access to a disk burner, copy the 10.4.11 combo update (for PPC) to it and try running it and rebooting. It really depends on the issue going on to see which is going to be the fastest and easiest way.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Before you suggest reinstalling have this person use his or her gray apple disk (disk #1). Put the DVD in the drive and reboot the machine holding down the option key before the computer chimes. Select the DVD icon using the arrow keys then proceed to use the Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Verifying permissions is very unlikely to solve this issue. It sounds like this install has several issues (considering it managed to crash so hard) so an Archive and Install is a very wise option. It will preserve everything you have installed, move it over (if done correctly) and leave you with a FRESH OS. It's not like reinstalling Windows.