Need Help Now: Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mudwoman22, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mudwoman22 macrumors member

Ok..My new MBP is now at 90 degrees Celsius...err, should I shut it down and leave it alone or what?

I'm panicking :/

2. noobsauce macrumors member

Depends on what and how many applications you are running.

3. mudwoman22 thread starter macrumors member

thank god...thank you so much :)

sorry, I completely panicked and forgot to research this <3

4. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm really beginning to think istat and other utilities are the worst utilities made for the Mac. They turn the uninformed and those unable to use the search feature of the forum and/or Internet into, well, never mind.

It's been said on everyone of these threads....and these threads happen multiple times a day at times.... unless you're really really really unlucky, just IGNORE your temperature of your machine. It will take care of itself. istat and others are more for folks that want to cool their machine a bit to comfortably use them on their laps. Your machine is not overheating. If it was, it would turn itself off.

Sorry to be so harsh but those that are active on this forum see this exact same thread several times per week and if it's too inconvenient for you to use the search button then you're obviously valuing your time more than our time.

Mike

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

.... or per day.

6. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

+1

Can we sticky a FAQ on the overheat threads? Put this response in the first post.

THANK YOU

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree on iStat and friends being the worst utilities. No offense to the OP but most people don't realize if the computer knows if its too hot it will protect itself and shut down. I've had astronomical temps before when I'd have my mbp on a blanket and after several HOURS of use (I was sick in bed) I'd finally start to see some freezeups. (Then I'd just tilt it on its side for a min then back to normal).

8. chels18 macrumors newbie

I'm no Mac Expert... but my MBP was running at well over 90c, so hot i couldn't touch the case and couple of days later the logic board crashed (it burnt out) and the darn thing wouldn't turn on at all. Luckily Apple repaired it on warranty but would have cost me £372!!! So maybe temp is something we shouldn't just ignore? if it keeps happening ask Apple because they said I should have taken it in sooner. :)

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I completely agree. In addition, when iStat is set to show a live CPU and memory use graph, it constantly uses 1-2% of the CPU, shortening my battery life by keeping the CPU out of low power mode.

Someone should make a utility that only says if the CPU is too hot (above 105C) and nothing else.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

90C is okay if your under full load. Other than that, it nearing the limit that the CPU can handle (105C) In fact my bother's unibody MB aluminum base 2.0GHz has a limit of 90C, and it goes to 207F under full load, so thats not good. Its obvious that heat is not a good thing for electronics, but If its at 90C, what are you doing? open up activity moniter, and see what the CPU usage is at.

11. Lokrado macrumors regular

+2

please do!

12. moel macrumors 6502

This is the reason miata's originally had a real oil gauge, but after 2 years of complete muppets asking 'my oil pressure fluctuates when i drive' they removed it and put a dummy in that says yes or no.

Sometimes too much info and not enough knowledge are a bad thing.

+3 for the sticky.

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Not all Intel C2D can work fine at 105C though. The 2.0 GHz C2D in my brother's 13" Aluminum MB can go up to 90C according to Intel's site. It said that the thermal limit was 90C, but it went to 205F under a stress test and thats above 90C. http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB53

Most have 105C as the limit though, but others have 100C or 90C.