Need help on archiving plus deleting to create more storage space.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anaid, Dec 1, 2007.

1. anaid macrumors newbie

I recently bought a used ibook from the internet. I want to switch to that from my pc, so I need some more storage space on the mac since there are a few programs that the person I bought it from left on there.

I tried archiving this one software since I know I will rarely if ever use it. I successfully archived it and saw the program with the ending .zip, and then I deleted the real software. I just dragged it from the applications folder into the trash. I then emptied the trash. I have my hard drive labeled with how much space is used, and it still had the same amount.

The same thing happened when I deleted the entire itunes library. I expected some space to clear up, however after I dragged all the songs directly from the itunes library into the trash, and then emptied the trash, it still reads the same amount is being used. It seems that no space has cleared up.

It does however read when I use space. When I downloaded my photos into iphoto, it in turn used up a lot of space, and then it read in my hard drive that more space is being used.

I want to put all my photos from my pc into the mac, but I would like to clear up the space with these programs that I don't use, etc. Please, any help on how I can truly delete these files so it will clear up more space would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!! :)

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

there is an option to delete off your computer instead of just the songs from itunes. i don't have itunes on my laptop right now so i can't tell you where it's at but i think it's in preferences. or you can just go to the folder that has all your music and delete them from there.

3. anaid thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I tried doing that-finding the folder that contained all the songs, and for the life of me, I couldn't find it. I found like sample files or something like that. I will try the preferences idea though, thanks for that bit of advice.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

they are probably in the itunes directory. itunes will copy/convert and put the music in it's folder if the user checks that option when they add the music to thier libary.