need help on bootcamp assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jameshk, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jameshk macrumors member

i have 500gb space...and i want to partion and install windows7 on it...how many space should i partion?if too less on mac will the pc slow down or any other problem?

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mac OS X is unique in that running out of HDD space will not dramatically slow your computer down like a Windows PC. It depends what you're doing on that Windows partition and which you use more often. For me, I only play games on Windows. Therefore, I set aside 300 GB for existing games and 150GB for future games. If you create more content on Windows, then you should increase your Windows partition size. The minimum for Windows should be around 64 GB for smooth running and a few programs.

3. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

ic...so what u mean is if i make it 50gb for mac and 450 for windows also no problem on both os la....issit?

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You will end up with issues with those numbers as these are hard partitions and OS X will not utilize unused portion of Windows partition. It will not be available to it and you WILL run out of space on your OS X partition, unless you save everything to an external.

5. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

i dunno how to use mac...this mbp is a gift present...but i like the outlook of it..so i'm using window system only..and i scare if i something go wrong or slowdown my pc...so b4 i install window 7 i ask for expert to teach..:D

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

If you're planning to just use Windows not abandon OS X, just split it 150-350. Originally I was thinking of my 750GB disk.

7. jameshk thread starter macrumors member

hmm...you mean if i put less then 150 on mac os then my pc will get error??

8. Stoo macrumors newbie

No, he's saying that OSX will be fine if you set it's partition to 150GB, and that'll leave plenty of room for Windows 7 on the remaining 350GB. :)

9. jameshk thread starter macrumors member