Price Advice NEED help on BUYING NEW LAPTOP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pritz23, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Pritz23 macrumors member

Pritz23

Withe the new macbook that just came out is it worth the trouble on investing on mac air or macbook pro

im done using pc laptops and chromes they seem to brake down i need something that is light and durable that would be able to handle my needs post graduate health care
    i have an ipad air 2 and works amazing no problems and i need something that is more on work related i was looking at the new macbook and i was thinking it might not last for morethan 2 years since is mcore are not as fast as the air or pro 13 inches

any suggestions?
    :eek::p:eek:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First question before anyone can really recommend a computer and configuration is what will you be using the computer for, i.e., what apps will you be using?

3. Pritz23 thread starter macrumors member

Pritz23

anything from looking ms works writting reaserch papers presentations and what ever the hospitals hits me

because i was looking a the mac air and thinking to max out all the specs but is worth the money since i owe so much already

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd wait until you see exactly what you need to run, and if the hospital provides you with a laptop.

The MBA will be fine for basic office docs, emails and surfing the web and that's all you'll be doing its a fine choice.

Finally if money is tight, I'd defer the purchase.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed on this. USUALLY any Mac is good enough to run any of the tools you need. That being said, I would be sure I don't need more CPU intensive operations before I pull the trigger.

But man, I love that retina display on the MB and MBP

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I'd say get the rMBP

The Retina Macbook Pro will cover you no matter what they throw at you in a hospital. I currently work in one and am studying medicinal chemistry in my spare time. It's what I use.

If money is tight, a refurb 2014 from the apple store is still fantastic little machine, I have the 2013 model and it flies.

7. theluggage macrumors 68030

What I'd say is if one of the base-model Airs looks like it will meet your needs (and it probably will for writing, presentations etc.) then go with that.

If you start looking at "maxing out" the Air, though, I think you should probably start looking at the 13" Macbook Pro. Its only slightly thicker and heavier than the air, has a better screen, and is considerably more powerful & better connected.

If you're starting a new job, though, I'd wait and see what you need - some employers are not very Mac friendly and its always possible that there's some legacy application that will require Windows. You can always use Parallels or VMWare to run Windows on your Mac - but if so, you really want at least 256GB HD and 8MB RAM for comfort.

Also - if you're working in research its worth checking to see if your new employer qualifies you for an Apple Higher Education discount (there's a tiny 'Education' link under 'More Stores' on the Apple Store page).

8. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Macs are not durable. They have high build quality but they aren't durable.

If you want something durable check out the Panasonic Toughbook line.