Need help on buying new mbp!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cowmoocher, Jul 6, 2009.

1. cowmoocher macrumors newbie

I want the 15'' 2.8ghz mbp, but idk which deal is ultimately better, the macmall one or the applestore one.

Macmall: Plus…FREE Parallels Desktop!* FREE Lexmark All-In-One Printer!* and College Students get a FREE Olympus 10 megapixel camera!* *after mail-in rebate, + 105 education discount

Apple: ipod touch 8b, Canon PIXMA MP480 Photo All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier, + educational discount roughly 10%

----

also i have a ipod classic 80gb that I'm not using so is there anyway I could trade that in at the applestore when I'm buying the mbp and get an upgrade on the touch?

also also, are the apple rebates/deals only available online?

2. Dr.Chris macrumors newbie

I'm no expert, but I'll answer what I can. The student discount is also available in store, but you may have to provide proof of being a student. I don't think apple does trade ins on ipods. And as far as which deal is better? Just depends on whether you need a camera or an ipod I guess. Since I have a 3g iPhone, I chose the 16g nano instead of the touch when I ordered my MBP a few weeks ago. I ordered through apple online, and also purchased applecare and iwork, both also discounted. Hope that helps some.

also also, are the apple rebates/deals only available online?

3. cowmoocher thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dr.chris!

upon further review, i'm pretty sure i'm going for apple's deal. the printer that macmall is offering is crap and i'd take an itouch over a camera

now remains the unanswered trade-in question. can it be done? has it been done?

4. joehahn macrumors regular

there are a few websites that allow you to sell them your ipod. i was looking into doing it a little while ago to help pay to upgrade the hard drive in my computer.

http://www.tunecycle.com/

don't expect more than $100 for it though

5. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

On Apple's refurb site:

$1699:

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    512MB 9600M GT video
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd always opt for the Apple store in this sort of situation, and Apple refurbs offer some of the best value around, come as good as new, plus have all of the guarantees of a brand new Apple computer.

Cheers and good luck

7. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

ipod recycling is 10% from Apple

There's no real upgrade program from Apple, but I recall that they will take 10% off a new iPod for recycling your old one.

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

You could sell the classic on ebay for about $120

9. cowmoocher thread starter macrumors newbie

really now, gazelle is giving me a sad sad quote of $56.00
    I'll try ebay then..

10. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Apple store is great if you want to get iWork etc as it is discounted on your purchase of a macbook. But the printers are really the same and Parallels is useless (for games anyway). So it does really depend if you want a camera or Ipod. If you sold your classic on ebay for $100-$130 then you could order from Macmall and get the camera but use the money from ebay to purchase the Touch (of course you would have to use some money of your own depending on the model you choose)

11. cowmoocher thread starter macrumors newbie

i'd be buying it for graphics/illustrative purposes and very little gaming (hopefully)

but whats this i'm hearing about the itouch getting updated soon with a camera? its sometime in september... I wonder if apple will include the updated itouch in their rebate offer. If not, i might as well just get it now.
    Anyone know?

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Unlikely, the back-to-school promo is basically an inventory-clearer.

13. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Also note that the camera MacMall offers is available to everyone for only $100 after mail in rebate. So that camera alone is only worth $100.00 compared to the $229 rebate apple offers on their iPods.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The printer Apple gives you is crap too, mind you. Also, it's the "iPod touch"- not the itouch.

15. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

well, they don't "give" you a printer. They offer a $100 discount on it. And really, it's up to your own preference on what to call the iPod touch. itouch is just easier to say and type.

16. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

They don't give you a discount. It's a rebate. You have to pay for it up front.

I can guarantee that you will piss off everyone on these forums if you continue to use "itouch". It is called the "iPod Touch", please respect that.

17. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

hey, i'm just saying that it's up to the OP's own personal preference, i know that it's called the iPod Touch.

And i could've sworn that it was a $100 off a printer, but I guess I misread it. Meh, a free printer is a free printer.

--EDIT--

"Buy a printer with your Mac. Save up to $100. Complement your new Mac with a high-performance printer. You can save up to $100 via rebate, which means your printer could even be free after the rebate. To qualify, just purchase both the Mac and printer on the same invoice, then submit your rebate with our online form.

Photo printers are optimized for the task by offering higher resolutions, more borderless print options, and other features. All-in-one printers deliver even more, combining photo and document printing with scanning and photocopying. Some also include fax capabilities.

Buy a printer with your Mac. Save up to $100.
    None HP Photosmart C4680 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier [Add $99.95]
    HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless All-in-One Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax [Add $199.95]
    HP Photosmart Premium Wireless Fax All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier [Add $299.95]"

Yes, it's a free printer if you choose the $99.95 printer, scanner copier. But if you want a better printer, such as the HP OfficeJet 6500 or the HP Photosmart Premium Wireless, it'll end up being $100 or $200 with the rebate.

straight from the apple site.

18. cowmoocher thread starter macrumors newbie

haha my bad
    idk what possessed me to call it the itouch

but seriously, loosen up a bit; "give" "ipod touch"
    you seem like that guy that abuses their right to air quotes