Need Help on Dream Workflow Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattaddington, May 13, 2009.

1. mattaddington macrumors newbie

I need some advice on a new setup as I am watching my MBP kernel fail error thing. I know it's only a matter of moments that I am crippled. Got everything backed up though.

I am photographer/designer. I spend a lot of time working at my desk post-processing, but also a lot of time on the go and on-location. Laptop/desktop are both necessities and it drives me crazy now to be constantly bluetoothing files back and forth between the two when I am working at the desk in the studio.

Knowing I need a new MBP, help me decide on a setup that can integrate the two. External monitor(s), external HDs, etc. I would like to be able to have a hub of files on external HD(s) where I can access when I am at the studio, but have the accessibility to be working on location as well. I am printing in the studio on an Epson R1800 13" printer and an HPZ3100 44" printer. I use separate computers for printing on each of those.

I am not planning on getting rid of either of my iMacs. Is there something useful I can use those for in this dream efficiency setup?

Thanks for any advice.

2. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

these 3 i can think of at the top of my head

1) flash drive/jump drive/usb stick/whatever you call it
    2)time capsule or router w/ usb for an external drive (good for backing up too)
    3) setup your computers so they can share files

3. mattaddington thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarification

I guess I am looking for some advice on whether or not I can make a hybrid setup with MBP, some external monitors and some sort of wireless network?

I would love to have my MBP on-location, get to desk, plug in, work on desk with big monitors, unplug, repeat...

Anyone have good suggestions for something like this?

4. JasonA macrumors member

Why not just use 1 computer? MBP in clamshell mode, connected to a large monitor at your desk. Bundle all the cables for quick disconnect and go. That's what I do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mattaddington thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way that I could use one of my existing iMacs as an external monitor to run alongside my MBP?

6. entergreenland macrumors newbie

Why don't you get a new unibody macbook pro and a good external display, you get the both worlds. You could share files between all of your computers over your airport/wireless.

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

+1, That's the way to go!

Also, get a good 7 port USB hub as part of your setup, you can keep everything plugged in but it's only one plug to deal with when you need to pick up and go.

My setup, which is basically the same concept.

[​IMG]

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

You could try my set up.

It includes a tablet.

Attached Files:

9. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

awesome setup. wish i had that:(