Need help on erasing Macbook Pro

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
I'm planning on returning my Macbook Pro (to trade it in for an upgraded SSD). I followed the steps to erase and reset the device. I've gotten to "erase my 'Macintosh HD" but it gives me the option of a format APFS, APFS (encrypted) etc... which one do I choose?

white7561

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2016
World
I'm planning on returning my Macbook Pro (to trade it in for an upgraded SSD). I followed the steps to erase and reset the device. I've gotten to "erase my 'Macintosh HD" but it gives me the option of a format APFS, APFS (encrypted) etc... which one do I choose?
Just do APFS. It'll be just fine. Although before you format it. Remember that after you format it, you need to reinstall the OS to boot .

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
That's what I did but now I'm having second thoughts. Isn't there another method where it makes the deleted data unrecoverable? Like over-writes it a few times..?

white7561

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2016
World
That's what I did but now I'm having second thoughts. Isn't there another method where it makes the deleted data unrecoverable? Like over-writes it a few times..?
If you're still on HDD then it's fine. It will just take a lot of time. ... I think when you want to wipe it. It has "secure option" option thingy. There you can change how much you want it to be overwritten

otherguy5

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2015
I'm on an SSD (Macbook Pro, 2017 no touchbar)... I just heard a YouTube tutorial saying that you don't need to rewrite it if it's on an SSD (since there's no option given anyway)... so that's good.

white7561

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2016
World
I'm on an SSD (Macbook Pro, 2017 no touchbar)... I just heard a YouTube tutorial saying that you don't need to rewrite it if it's on an SSD (since there's no option given anyway)... so that's good.
Yeah okay. Then just wipe it normally. Then go install the os again