Need help on Jail breaking 3g on 3.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JJBro1, Sep 30, 2009.

1. JJBro1 macrumors regular

I have never jailbroken my iphone before so I've decided to do so now. Iphone dev team says that I need pwnagetool 3.1 but it also says I need to CONTINUE using ultrasn0w. What is ultrasn0w and if i haven't used it before can i still jailbreak? Ok so I have pwnagetool and i have successfully created my ipsw. Now will this erase everything i have on my iphone? Will I be able to back it up somehow and recover my data later?

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Hi - I think you misunderstood something you read. To explain a bit, ultraSn0w is the 3G unlocking tool, to let your phone run on another network than the official one. However, once you've upgraded a 3G to the official 3.1 firmware, ultraSn0w is no longer usable and currently your phone is not unlockable.

You can still jailbreak it though. You need a Mac, you will use Pwnage tool, and you need to follow this tutorial:
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4254

Good luck. It is a lot of fun having a jailbroken phone.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

+2 on this

4. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

so i have pwnage tool and i created my ipsw, will this erase everything that i have on my iphone?

5. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

so i have pwnage tool and i created my ipsw, will this erase everything that i have on my iphone? also how do i know if i have a contract that usually activates through itunes?

6. JJBro1 thread starter macrumors regular

i successfully created my custom firmware and when i click to open it itunes doesn't do anything. Does this even work with itunes 9? nvm forgot to hold down the option key

7. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

iTunes should back up your phone when it restores, so you can get your contacts and settings back.