Need help on my College Major

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phas3, Nov 16, 2009.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

hey guys, I finally have the chance to go to college, I'm taking a couple classes right now. I was in the military for 4 years and now I'm 22 and going to college...I am torn as to what route to take, My first initial thought was Business Management, I want to own my own bar one day. But lately I've been getting more and more into Computer Tech. Before I joined the Corps(in high school) I was all about setting up networks, trouble shooting PCs, building PCs. And since I've been out of the Corps, I started fooling around in that department again. I've built me a PC, trouble shooted, overclocked etc... and that got me thinking a lot. My interest is in computers, I do want to own my own bar and make some money out of it. That was my main goal was to become rich and having a bar/grill was my intial idea. My best friend is a chef and we were going to go in it together as a partnership.

But I'm torn, I need some input. I haven't looked much into the Computer Science majors or anything to do with computers. Are they in demand? do they get paid well?

what would be my pros and cons if I were to take the entreprenuer route or the computer tech/science route?

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Apply to St. John's College, Harrison Middleton Univ., Thomas More College, and a few select others and follow a classical curriculum if you're going to college to learn. Otherwise, go to a state school and get a 4 year vocational certificate (even though it will be called a bachelor's degree).

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Is there a forum award for douchiest post of the year? Because I'd like to nominate this one.

To the OP: Is a double major possible? Why not just do both of them? Or get the degree in computers and a minor in business, and see if you can pick up a job as a bartender while going through school. That way you'll get your education and some real-world experience in the type of business you'll eventually want to open up. See if you can talk to anyone who has done what you want to do, and see what they would recommend.

Also, ignore what some people might suggest, and go to a state school. There is no reason for you to waste tens of thousands of dollars a year for your bachelor's education at a private university, especially for the type of degrees you are interested in.

4. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Ha, nice joke man. Did you even read what the OP was looking to do? Business Management or Computer Tech? A classical humanities degree will really set him up well for both. He'll be lucky enough to enter the business world with little to no knowledge of accounting, business management, finance, or anything else business related; really the easiest way to start out as an entrepreneur.

The thing is, he might not have to. You shouldn't rule out a private college until you find out what kind of scholarships and financial aid they will offer you. I go to a private school and the cost is inline with the UC schools because of the large amount of scholarships I receive. Also, who is to say it is a waste of money if you like the school, the program, etc? Just because it is a waste in your opinion doesn't mean it necessarily actually is; you certainly cannot generalize private college being wasteful to for all or even most cases. I've enjoyed my private college years and received individual attention many of my friends at public institutions could only have dreamed of.

Computer science degrees have been fairly in demand. CNN ranked it in the top 5 highest paying degrees back in July at $61,407. It can be a fairly tough major and will be more difficult than Business Management. If you're looking to be an entrpreneur maybe you can combine a business minor with a Computer Science degree. That way you'll have an indemand degree backed by some business skills. Then you're set if you want to start the bar or work in the tech industry. To run a bar you probably don't need all of the courses a business major would take; however, some might be helpful, such as HR, accounting, and even finance courses.

Running your own business can be great, however, it might not be as stable as working in the tech area with a CS degree. You have to keep in mind that most business fail pretty quick and even if they do succeed they can take many years, many long hours, and a lot of sacrifice (as well as cash) to get there. If you want a steady income and stability, I probably would be more inclined to take a standard job/career. You're your own boss, which is great, but a lot more responsibility and risk comes with it as well.

Go wherever you feel you fit in best for school, whether it is public or private. College is probably only going to happen once for you, so first and foremost make sure you like the school and the program, then think about the cost (you can always pay those student loans off over 30 years, haha).

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

great posts guys, I will look into more of the computer science department. But the thing is since I completed 4 years in the Armed Services, my college is paid for, for the most part. 36 months of schooling to any UC or Cal State college I want to go to, and also Private schools that do the yellow ribbon program for veterans. I'm going to a community college right now and hoping to transfer out. If i take the business management route one of my options is USC, as if I get into the Marshal School of Business program, since I'm a veteran USC will give me a free ride, thus saving some of my GI BILL education benefits to use to go to grad school or save for my kids, when I do have kids.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I don't know about the school you will be attending, but my school offered a combination of the degrees. There were programs in Business Information Systems, and Management Information Systems. Both were business degrees with some programming/networking classes thrown in. It may be worth checking out.

7. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Get a double major, computer science and electrical engineering. You will have plenty of doors open to you if you are willing to travel, or BSEE with a minor in comp sci.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

this is quite an old thread.

To update this thread, I have been following a business management plan from my counselor and by the summer I should be able to transfer to a 4 year University. However, I'm not sure if business management is my forte now, there's so much more, I've come to love the stock market and I want to land a job that has something to do with wall street and continue playing the stock market for profit.

So what are your suggestions? Finance? Marketing? Would love some input.

9. MusicEnthusiast macrumors 6502

MusicEnthusiast

Both marketing and finance seem like great paths. I am no business major, but a 3rd year university student studying atmospheric sciences and Japanese. As much as I know about what you are looking into, they are very popular (at least here at my university they are). So competition might be a factor in attaining a secure job after graduation. Then again, you have served in the armed forces so I assume that would qualify you for extra benefits and perks. Finance and marketing can get you into advertising, and like you mentioned sock markets, studying trends and making business decisions in those fields are very strong. You are definitely looking into living a flexible and solid future.

I am curious though. I am keeping the military an option after I graduate. Where did you serve? I know that a college graduate has the opportunity to attend officer training school, and my field in meteorology is very important for pilots and other military work. Maybe shedding some light on this would help me out too!

Best of luck in your education endeavors!

10. Herdfan macrumors 6502

If you like finance, great. Take your finance classes, but get an accounting degree. It is much more portable over the long run. Plus add in some higher math and statistics classes if you want to get noticed by Wall Street.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would imagine you have either never been to college, have a degree from said state school, or just generally fail in life.

OP, if you're looking to do something in the stock market you don't need a degree but I would certainly get one if it were me. I would major in economics and possibly minor in business. I think econ is the most important of the two but in theory if you're taking classes towards an econ degree then you'll probably be able to bang out the business minor requirements without really knowing it. Even with your earlier desire to own a bar the degree won't be wasted. I wish I had pushed myself towards a double major but econ and me are hardly buddies.

12. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was in the Marine Corps, served two tours to Iraq. I was a combat engineer, we pretty much did everything from searching for mine fields, weapons cache, and most of the time sweeping the roads for IEDs with metal detectors. We also did construction out there building house, fortifying Iraqi bases and building schools.

If you are thinking of joining the military after college and with your field in meteorology I would join the Air Force. They are very technical and I'm sure you will be able to choose what MOS(Job) you want and just make sure its in the contract. You'll start as a 2nd Lt and work your way up, after you've served your time the G.I. Bill does wonders in covering cost of tuition and books as well as giving you an basica allowance for housing every month. You can work on your masters then. IF you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

Everyone is deploying to Afghanistan nowadays, I wish I had done a tour there as well.