Need help on network implementation with Airports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dorlando, Nov 8, 2010.

1. dorlando macrumors newbie

Hello all, hoping someone can help shed some light on my networks setup questions. I did call Apple and was told they don't support what I am trying to do but stopped short of saying it would not do what I needed or not.

I will try to be concise but want to cover my bases too!

Current setup is a Airport Extreme running as main router, many various devices connect to this. All three enet ports in the back also serve functions (one computer, printer to share, one to TV). I also have (2) Airport Express units, one serving as an wireless extender, one as a wireless music server via itunes sharing. All devices under the same roof. Never had the best luck with range with these, hence the one as an extender.

Now, I am moving my office to a 14x20 building that is being converted to suit the task. Running gas lines, heat, power, cable, data lines, etc. and finishing it off. What I want to do is get my printer in the new exterior office along with one MBP. Both printer and MBP have enet connections so wired is an option, though I would prefer to have an active wireless connection for iPads, phones, etc.

Can I run a cat 5 cable from the Airport Extreme to the exterior office via the underground cable run, come into the building and then plug that into the Airport Express, and have it extend or create a strong wireless connection for the exterior office? Bottom line I want to keep my inside network intact, share my internet services, share my printer, use iChat between the two buildings and get it working well in the new building, optimum would be to have both hard line and wireless capability out there.

Any input or suggestions is greatly appreciated, I am running underground in two days and need to know what I need to pull to make it happen, only want to do this once!

Thanks!

2. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

3. dorlando thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! That does seem to be what I am after, just need to go over that link more and try this with wires above ground first!