Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Recently managed to find an Quadro FX 4500 that has L bracket on its back. When i tried to flash it with the mac elites rom it gave me artifacts so i asked it to one the group and someone else replied that macelites rom gave him the same problem and advised me to use the rom that can be founded on MacRumors so i did.

Before using the rom i compared both of them in binarys just to know if they are the same rom and it turned out it was. Still i flashed it with that rom but still had the same result and tried 3 different nvflash versions just to make sure i'm doing things right. Afterr the flash gpu identifies itself as an 7800 GO and that doesn't go away untill i reboot the pc.

Does these artifacts and problems caused by a bios problem or an hardware problem. If its caused by the bios can anyone send the link to the file or a dump of their rom? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

DearthnVader

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Recently managed to find an Quadro FX 4500 that has L bracket on its back. When i tried to flash it with the mac elites rom it gave me artifacts so i asked it to one the group and someone else replied that macelites rom gave him the same problem and advised me to use the rom that can be founded on MacRumors so i did. Before using the rom i compared both of them in binarys just to know if they are the same rom and it turned out it was. Still i flashed it with that rom but still had the same result and tried 3 different nvflash versions just to make sure i'm doing things right. Afterr the flash gpu identifies itself as an 7800 GO and that doesn't go away untill i reboot the pc. Does these artifacts and problems caused by a bios problem or an hardware problem. If its caused by the bios can anyone send the link to the file or a dump of their rom? Thanks in advance

Recently managed to find an Quadro FX 4500 that has L bracket on its back. When i tried to flash it with the mac elites rom it gave me artifacts so i asked it to one the group and someone else replied that macelites rom gave him the same problem and advised me to use the rom that can be founded on MacRumors so i did. Before using the rom i compared both of them in binarys just to know if they are the same rom and it turned out it was. Still i flashed it with that rom but still had the same result and tried 3 different nvflash versions just to make sure i'm doing things right. Afterr the flash gpu identifies itself as an 7800 GO and that doesn't go away untill i reboot the pc. Does these artifacts and problems caused by a bios problem or an hardware problem. If its caused by the bios can anyone send the link to the file or a dump of their rom? Thanks in advance

View attachment 1724033
Sounds like a problem with the NVStrap, if you are getting a Device ID other than the QuadroFX 4500?

We used to have a Windows tool called the NVStrap editor, and that likely would have fixed you up real quick. I don't remember a whole lot about it, so many years gone by now, but I think it starts at 0x58 in the Nvidia ROM, I forget how many bytes long it is, but it ends with a checksum byte.

If you still have the original bios that came with the card, you should just be able to copy the strap over to the Mac FCode ROM.

Let me see if I can find some of the old info.........

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
How do i do that? Never heard of that program. Attached a zip file it has the og rom and the rom that i used. There is app called rivatuner what's that?

Attachments

• roms.zip
    56 KB · Views: 68

DearthnVader

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Code:
Rom strap?

Arti could you decode this strap for me?

3F C0 00 7E 80 20 C0 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 80
22 00 A5

I've read what you have posted before on straping, and I do understand how to find, copy, and paste. It does work for me, however if you could try agian to explain it to me, thanks.

Arti

3F C0 00 7E AND mask

Well preserve the straps marked with "1"

00111111 11000000 00000000 01111110

80 20 C0 80 OR mask

Well add the straps marked with "1"

10000000 00100000 11000000 10000000
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash
Global Moderator

nvflash 
3F
AND mask

PCI_AD_NORMAL, Sub_Vendor_Bios, Ramconfig, Ramconfig, Ramconfig,Ramconfig, Crystal_14M,NTSC, Disabled

So it's hex to binary conversion, I don't understand Preserve/Add.
Arti
Global Moderator

Arti 
So it's hex to binary conversion,

Sort of, as the straps are either on or off. Some of them are grouped, like ramconfig (to 4 bits allowing for those 32 scripts to have tables with 16 entries), TV mode is 2 bits, PCI ID is 2 bits (the resulting DID depends on the CPU). also the mem size straps are at least 2 bits.

I don't understand Preserve/Add.

Softsraps (introduced I believe with FX series) are in addition to hard straps (or those resistors), so AND mask determines if the hardstrap gets preserved or not the OR mask if the strap gets added.
Other way to look at it is AND mask allows you to set that bit to "0" OR mask to "1". If you do neither (AND mask 1, OR mask 0) original strapping (be it 0 or 1) stays.

For example, if you want to get rid of all the hardstaps and write your own, you'll set the AND mask to all "0"s and the OR mask to whatever strapping you desire.

nvflash 
Ok, I think I'm starting to understand. However the length of the strap does not seen right.

3F C0 00 7E (AND mask)
80 20 C0 80 (OR mask)
00 00 00 00 (AND mask, we don't know what these are)
10 00 00 80 (OR mask)
22 00 A5 (Should this not be 4 bytes??? The last one being the CheckSum)

Also, the tvmode has me confused, how can it = 3(Disabled) when it's only 2 bits?

PCI DID how is this calculated?

What are these?
FP_IFACE
BR_

Would you give an example of calcutation of the CheckSum?
Last Edit: Jul 3, 2005 at 10:13am by nvflash
Arti

The 4th byte is the checksum, i.e. the one after A5.

It doesn't. It's interpretation depends on the GPU.

What are these?
FP_IFACE
BR_

Flatpanel interface width and the other one I don't know.

Lets take 80 20 C0 80, add them together = 1E0, discardd anything above 8 bits = E0. -E0 = 20. The checksum is 20.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:25am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by nvflash on Jul 3, 2005 at 11:25am
Lets take 80 20 C0 80, add them together = 1E0, discardd anything above 8 bits = E0. -E0 = 20. The checksum is 20.

Got it, so the CheckSum for 3F C0 00 7E 80 20 C0 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 80
22 00 A5 = 4C

What difference does 24-bit make vs 12-bit?

Is this just a way to define to the PC's Bios or Mac's Open-Firmware the Width of this bus or can this strap change the width of this bus?

How can I use this to change the DID?

BTW, THANKS!
Arti

Is this just a way to define to the PC's Bios or Mac's Open-Firmware the Width of this bus or can this strap change the width of this bus?

It has to match the hardware. I don't know how much it's currently used as everything seems to use 12 bit interface.

You have to experiment. It probably makes it easier if you AND mask out the existing strap and then see what all of those 4 values give you.

BTW if you want to write the new strapping for the ROMs you may want to use the same approach. "0" it out via AND mask and set it with OR mask.
You could get the correct strapping from your OEM card, but that means erasing the ROM and I have no idea how you can get the ROM back as you'd need a PC with AGP Pro slot.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash

18 BR_ENABLED /BR_DISABLED

Don't fool with this one, I think I made my card pull the no show in a PC and Mac with this one.

Now I'll have to find the Sub_Vendor pin to flash it back, unless you know how to lift one of the pin on an 8-pin serial eprom.

No great loss, I was trying to see if setting up the correct straps for my PCI card would let it work in 10.4.

I think I have a 8-pin serial eprom on an ATI card that was dead so maybe I can erase that and replace it.

Anyway, thanks, I understand this now.

Arti 
I got similar results when playing with the nvfalsh programs strap overwrite function.
I lifted the power for the ROM and connected a switch to it. After powering the ROM after booting I was able to erase it with 4.46.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/

nvflash

Thanks, that worked.

Arti

PCI config register 48

<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RQ" high-bit="31" low-bit="24">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RQ_32" value="0x0000001F"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA" high-bit="9" low-bit="9">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA_NONE" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA_CAPABLE" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW" high-bit="4" low-bit="4">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW_NONE" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW_CAPABLE" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE" high-bit="2" low-bit="0">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X" value="0x00000001"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_2X" value="0x00000002"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X_AND_2X" value="0x00000003"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_4X" value="0x00000004"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X_2X_4X" value="0x00000007"/>
</field>

PCI config register 4c

<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_RQ_DEPTH" high-bit="28" low-bit="24">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_RQ_DEPTH_0" value="0x00000000"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE" high-bit="9" low-bit="9">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE" high-bit="8" low-bit="8">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE" high-bit="4" low-bit="4">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE" high-bit="2" low-bit="0">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_1X" value="0x00000001"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_2X" value="0x00000002"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_4X" value="0x00000004"/>
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
rubytuesday
God

rubytuesday Avatar

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:14am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by rubytuesday on Jul 6, 2005 at 12:14am
So, using that info, could force my Quicksilver to work at 2X AGP with a 5500?

The kid with the small 5500 in a Cube claims the thing is running crazy hot. Since the cards have always run super-cool in my QS, I don't understand why it would be hot at 2X AGP unless it is just a voltage issue. The lower datarate ROM seems to have helped though he still claims some noise is present.

Also, I tried to flash a 500 today and use the "-g" command to retain original straps. Flashed ine but didn't work as Mac card. Apparently Arti's mod to ignore device id is in "strap" department. Card came up as device id 326 Nvidiia device. Seems like "-g" could be helpful in some way though.
Arti
Global Moderator

Arti Avatar

Jul 6, 2005 at 6:11am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by Arti on Jul 6, 2005 at 6:11am

The ROM tries to change the setup to match the actual hardware, perhaps the driver too, so it's trickier than that. Running the card at 2x would perhaps be useful for performance tests.

I don't understand why it would be hot at 2X AGP unless it is just a voltage issue.

It's a possibility but forcing the card to run at 2x in a QS will not change that. It'll run at 2x datarate with voltage levels of 4x. Bus voltage is set up by hardware.
When I experimented with (or actually fried) an OEM 4MX in a 2x PC I could smell how hot it got. You'll need an actual 2x Mac to test it.

he still claims some noise is present.

DVI noise?

Apparently Arti's mod to ignore device id is in "strap" department.

The DID in the PCI header has to match the actual DID. That's why I'm suggesting to remove that ROM, because it's useless without instructions.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash
Global Moderator

nvflash Avatar

Embrace your dark side.

Member is Online

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:25am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by nvflash on Jul 6, 2005 at 11:25am
The DID in the PCI header has to match the actual DID. That's why I'm suggesting to remove that ROM, because it's useless without instructions.

Nope, the DID in the PCI Header must match the DID set in the Strap. That's how it goes for me, my 3 0320's if I want to Strap them to something else I need to change the PCI Header DID to match the strap, not 0320. If I set the header to 0320 and change it in the strap Open FirmWare ignors my fcode Rom. Odd.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Code:
Rom strap?

Arti could you decode this strap for me?

3F C0 00 7E 80 20 C0 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 80
22 00 A5

I've read what you have posted before on straping, and I do understand how to find, copy, and paste. It does work for me, however if you could try agian to explain it to me, thanks.

Arti

3F C0 00 7E AND mask

Well preserve the straps marked with "1"

00111111 11000000 00000000 01111110

80 20 C0 80 OR mask

Well add the straps marked with "1"

10000000 00100000 11000000 10000000
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash
Global Moderator

nvflash
3F
AND mask

PCI_AD_NORMAL, Sub_Vendor_Bios, Ramconfig, Ramconfig, Ramconfig,Ramconfig, Crystal_14M,NTSC, Disabled

So it's hex to binary conversion, I don't understand Preserve/Add.
Arti
Global Moderator

Arti
So it's hex to binary conversion,

Sort of, as the straps are either on or off. Some of them are grouped, like ramconfig (to 4 bits allowing for those 32 scripts to have tables with 16 entries), TV mode is 2 bits, PCI ID is 2 bits (the resulting DID depends on the CPU). also the mem size straps are at least 2 bits.

I don't understand Preserve/Add.

Softsraps (introduced I believe with FX series) are in addition to hard straps (or those resistors), so AND mask determines if the hardstrap gets preserved or not the OR mask if the strap gets added.
Other way to look at it is AND mask allows you to set that bit to "0" OR mask to "1". If you do neither (AND mask 1, OR mask 0) original strapping (be it 0 or 1) stays.

For example, if you want to get rid of all the hardstaps and write your own, you'll set the AND mask to all "0"s and the OR mask to whatever strapping you desire.

nvflash
Ok, I think I'm starting to understand. However the length of the strap does not seen right.

3F C0 00 7E (AND mask)
80 20 C0 80 (OR mask)
00 00 00 00 (AND mask, we don't know what these are)
10 00 00 80 (OR mask)

Also, the tvmode has me confused, how can it = 3(Disabled) when it's only 2 bits?

What are these?
FP_IFACE
BR_

Last Edit: Jul 3, 2005 at 10:13am by nvflash
Arti

The 4th byte is the checksum, i.e. the one after A5.

What are these?
FP_IFACE
BR_

home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash

Jul 3, 2005 at 11:25am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by nvflash on Jul 3, 2005 at 11:25am

Got it, so the CheckSum for 3F C0 00 7E 80 20 C0 80 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 80
22 00 A5 = 4C

What difference does 24-bit make vs 12-bit?

BTW, THANKS!
Arti

It has to match the hardware. I don't know how much it's currently used as everything seems to use 12 bit interface.

You have to experiment. It probably makes it easier if you AND mask out the existing strap and then see what all of those 4 values give you.

BTW if you want to write the new strapping for the ROMs you may want to use the same approach. "0" it out via AND mask and set it with OR mask.
You could get the correct strapping from your OEM card, but that means erasing the ROM and I have no idea how you can get the ROM back as you'd need a PC with AGP Pro slot.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash

18 BR_ENABLED /BR_DISABLED

Don't fool with this one, I think I made my card pull the no show in a PC and Mac with this one.

Now I'll have to find the Sub_Vendor pin to flash it back, unless you know how to lift one of the pin on an 8-pin serial eprom.

No great loss, I was trying to see if setting up the correct straps for my PCI card would let it work in 10.4.

I think I have a 8-pin serial eprom on an ATI card that was dead so maybe I can erase that and replace it.

Anyway, thanks, I understand this now.

Arti
I got similar results when playing with the nvfalsh programs strap overwrite function.
I lifted the power for the ROM and connected a switch to it. After powering the ROM after booting I was able to erase it with 4.46.
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/

nvflash

Thanks, that worked.

Arti

PCI config register 48

<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RQ" high-bit="31" low-bit="24">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RQ_32" value="0x0000001F"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA" high-bit="9" low-bit="9">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA_NONE" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_SBA_CAPABLE" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW" high-bit="4" low-bit="4">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW_NONE" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_FW_CAPABLE" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE" high-bit="2" low-bit="0">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X" value="0x00000001"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_2X" value="0x00000002"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X_AND_2X" value="0x00000003"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_4X" value="0x00000004"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_18_AGP_STATUS_RATE_1X_2X_4X" value="0x00000007"/>
</field>

PCI config register 4c

<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_RQ_DEPTH" high-bit="28" low-bit="24">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_RQ_DEPTH_0" value="0x00000000"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE" high-bit="9" low-bit="9">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_SBA_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE" high-bit="8" low-bit="8">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_AGP_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE" high-bit="4" low-bit="4">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_FW_ENABLE_ON" value="0x00000001"/>
</field>
<field name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE" high-bit="2" low-bit="0">
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_OFF" value="0x00000000"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_1X" value="0x00000001"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_2X" value="0x00000002"/>
<field-value name="NV_PBUS_PCI_NV_19_AGP_COMMAND_DATA_RATE_4X" value="0x00000004"/>
home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
rubytuesday
God

rubytuesday Avatar

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:14am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by rubytuesday on Jul 6, 2005 at 12:14am

The kid with the small 5500 in a Cube claims the thing is running crazy hot. Since the cards have always run super-cool in my QS, I don't understand why it would be hot at 2X AGP unless it is just a voltage issue. The lower datarate ROM seems to have helped though he still claims some noise is present.

Also, I tried to flash a 500 today and use the "-g" command to retain original straps. Flashed ine but didn't work as Mac card. Apparently Arti's mod to ignore device id is in "strap" department. Card came up as device id 326 Nvidiia device. Seems like "-g" could be helpful in some way though.
Arti
Global Moderator

Arti Avatar

Jul 6, 2005 at 6:11am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by Arti on Jul 6, 2005 at 6:11am

The ROM tries to change the setup to match the actual hardware, perhaps the driver too, so it's trickier than that. Running the card at 2x would perhaps be useful for performance tests.

I don't understand why it would be hot at 2X AGP unless it is just a voltage issue.

It's a possibility but forcing the card to run at 2x in a QS will not change that. It'll run at 2x datarate with voltage levels of 4x. Bus voltage is set up by hardware.
When I experimented with (or actually fried) an OEM 4MX in a 2x PC I could smell how hot it got. You'll need an actual 2x Mac to test it.

he still claims some noise is present.

DVI noise?

Apparently Arti's mod to ignore device id is in "strap" department.

home.nyc.rr.com/arti/
nvflash
Global Moderator

nvflash Avatar

Embrace your dark side.

Member is Online

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:25am   QuoteEditlikePost Options
Post by nvflash on Jul 6, 2005 at 11:25am

Nope, the DID in the PCI Header must match the DID set in the Strap. That's how it goes for me, my 3 0320's if I want to Strap them to something else I need to change the PCI Header DID to match the strap, not 0320. If I set the header to 0320 and change it in the strap Open FirmWare ignors my fcode Rom. Odd.
Read the entire thing but that made me realize how much of a illiterate i am in these kind of things. There is a mension of -g do you think that would solve my problem? please don't get frustrated or pissed at me man i genuinely want to learn and take a grasp on these things. Genuinely thank you for your time

DearthnVader

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
How do i do that? Never heard of that program. Attached a zip file it has the og rom and the rom that i used. There is app called rivatuner what's that?
Looks like you maybe our of luck, soft straps look the same between the two ROMs. Do you know the exact brand of card you have?

Could you dump the IOReg of the card with the Mac ROM on it?

I did run into some cards that copying over the soft straps was not enough, they had to be overridden, and that's what made Arti Itra's NVStrap Editor so great, but unless someone can find a copy, it's not much fun to do it by hand, and you can end up with a brick if you do it wrong, or even sometimes where you do it right.

You can thank our broken immigration system for the fact that you'll have to fly to Estonia and go pub crawling looking for a guy named Arti to get all the tools he made for us.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
900-50347-0401-000 F 019 Made in China
BIOS Version 5.70.02.15.02
600-50347-0000-305 C
11S13M8442ZK11V967W002 IBM FRU 13M8429 607 COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: MADE IN CHINA

That's what it says on label so i guess it's an IBM made gpu.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
In order to do that i have to install windows on the scrap part built flashing pc. Weird thing is that it is detected by my motherboard but it doesn't send any signal to the Cinema Display on cold boot nor on bios. I flashed the card multiple times using the igpu on mobo.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Damn it is so hard to find an L bracket on in here. Do you think its a memory problem? capacitor?

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
The ROMs you linked are both FCode ROMs, is this a Mac card, or a PC Card?
That i dont know for sure but i guess its a pc card? Whats is fcode rom_ Already reapplied the therma paste and thermal pads. My repair gu said its a memory problem and said they need to be replaced.

Last edited:

DearthnVader

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
That i dont know for sure but i guess its a pc card? Whats is fcode rom_ Already reapplied the therma paste and thermal pads. My repair gu said its a memory problem and said they need to be replaced.
It's a PC Card, you can tell from the BIOS string, just google search that and you will find the PC bios download. Flash that to the card, make sure you completely erase the EEPROM with nVflash first, reboot, then flash the PC bios.

Test the card in a PC with it's original VBios, if it works fine there, then it's a good card and you can make a ROM for it.

PowerfulEra

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2017
Well managed to get an protepr adapter this time now i can confirm that gpu is the problematic one looks like i have to replace rams and caps on it. Sorry for wasting your time man

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.