Need Help On Selecting A Case!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xbigman15x, Jun 22, 2008.

1. xbigman15x macrumors member

Hey, come July 11th, like many of us here on MR, i will purchase the iPhone 3G. Here is the problem, WHAT IS THE BEST CASE?! i look at the back of my iPod Classic and see the crazy scratches on it despite being in a leather case and it makes me angry. I know the plastic doesn't necessarily scratch as easy, but i certainly don't want to take any chances. i have been looking at the Invisible Shield from Zagg, which is sold at walmart.com for $20, and I am strongly considering it because of its fully body coverage. I am reluctant to get it however because i have heard that though the case looks great, after a while the corners begin to peel off and gather all of the crud that is in the world. I certainly do not want my iPhone looking like that and i want to avoid that. Another option i am tossing around is getting the power support film to put on the screen alone, it seems to be a good product, but not full body protection. I am also reluctant to get any other type of case that i can slip the iPhone into because from experience they often gather dust and crap inside and scratch it without me noticing. Also they take away form the natural appearance of the phone. Plus as that recent study stated, YES I DO WANT OTHERS TO KNOW I AM AWESOME AND HAVE AN IPHONE 3G!

All input is greatly appreciated and i want to know what you have or what you are considering and why.

THANKS!

2. calvy macrumors 65816

How would any of us know since none of it is out yet?

Also, I had the invisible shield on my iPhone for about 3 weeks. I got sick of it. The corners peel up and collect lint in my pocket, and ends up looking like ****. There are many on here that rave about them, but I'll never buy one again.

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I think after the launch we will start to see a lot more cases popping up from different manufacturers.

What I'm planning on doing is getting the phone first and determine if I want my phone naked or not... Most likely I will keep it naked inside the horizontal belt clip case.

I think its still too early to determine which case is the best. We will always see a better case but ultimately, user preference

4. xbigman15x thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps you have an iPhone now or know someone that does. It is like the cases are going to drastically change or anything. Probably just a change in size. For instance the invisible shield is simple a change in size, not the film itself. So, what are you using now or know others are using now that works well.

i would appreciate it if you didnt have to be a smart a** when replying. maybe if you opened your mind up real quick you could have seen my intent on making this thread. (that was directed to calvy)

I simply want to know your opinions on some different type. like films vs. cases. things like that. what do you know about them and are they a good idea. Granted there will be new cases i am sure, but still in the same general categories. i understand that this is user preference but that doesnt mean i can't take into your account your thoughts and opinions. Perhaps someone like crud build up on the corners of the iphone or someone doesn't. Either way just kind of pitch your idea out and state why.

5. calvy macrumors 65816

Ok, I just took a big rip off my bong, and my mind is totally opened up now. So I'll give you the reply you were looking for.

The cases that I've used on my iPhone (Agent18, Incase) all added more bulk than I wanted and also trapped crud in between the phone and the case, causing scratches. The invisible shield sounded like a great idea, and it was so so until it started collected lint and other crud. I never liked the "plastic on grandmas couch" feel of it, but I did like that it kept the back metal case from scratching up. In the end, with every case I've tried, I've ended up going back to naked.

6. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I've used invisible shields (or some variant of them like Best Skin Ever) for my ipods and now iPhone and have had no problems. One time I noticed the corner starting to peel and yes, lint can get trapped in there, but if its applied correctly (I should say perfectly, not correctly) the problem is less likely to happen. When I noticed that my corners or edges are starting to peel I usually just put a little water on it and re-stick it down (if you do this a couple of times you'll really have to hold it pressed down for a minute or two to make sure it holds). I've only replaced it once for my ipod because I noticed a troublesome edge was always peeling. I just ordered another one and replaced it. Only now (after a year) has my iphone's edges started to peel but I can always order a replacement.
    I had a case, it was red and Megan Fox uses it ( http://iphonewave.blogspot.com/2007/07/iphone-protective-cover-from-incase.html ) but I found I took it off a lot because I'd rather just have the iphone without case.

7. xbigman15x thread starter macrumors member

Thanks man, sorry for being rude. Great input and as it seems so far keeping the iphone naked is the way to go.

8. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I have used lots of cases for many different phones and pdas and by far the best made and most sexiest fit is the Ivolution by www.vajacases.com
    It is the nicest I have ever seen, cant say enough about it.....you wont be dissapointed.

9. calvy macrumors 65816

No problemo buddy. I'm glad it helped. It's hard to write things on the internet and know how everyone will take it, so I apologize for not wording mine more appropriately. Just to add a few more notes, I have never ever worried about scratching my screen. So in my opinion, the invisible shield on the glass only keeps fingerprint smudges from becoming really bad. Other than that, not a lot of benefit, and the invisible shield had a noticable rainbow effect that could be seen when closely looked at.

Well, hope you got it all worked out. I'm patiently waiting until July 11 so I can buy my new 3G iPhone and give my old one to my girlfriend so she can use it on Tmobile.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

11. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat here, as calvy.
    Both with the bong ripping and with the iphone case ;)
    I just hate putting a case on my iPhone, its so beautiful to begin with. But I have a hard time texting on it because the damn thing is so skinny and my hands are too big, I feel like if I had a case for it I'd have a better grip on it. Also I plan to use it to replace my iPod so I'll be using it a lot and I could just see myself dropping it all the time (right now I have a sony w810i and I throw it around like a piece of shi t. What i want is a sleek black rubber case that adds as little bulk as possible, I was looking at one the other day for the 3g iphone which is only like a millimeter or two which would be nice

12. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

The nice thing about the Zagg is it has a lifetime guarantee. So if the corner does start to peel, get a replacement. It's no brainer, they Zagg looks great. I would never have anything other than a Zagg or BSE.

13. Penguinwrangler macrumors regular

Vaja case

Can anyone else who has the Vaja cases testify to their quality. They look great on the website, but I can make pretty much anything look good with enough flash animation. Also, with the new curve of the 3G, do we think they will still look as sleek?

14. mark34 macrumors 6502a

I have had about 5 different Vaja cases for iPods, Treos, etc. They are the peak of quality. To me, they are in a class of their own.

The downside is that they do add bulk. The iVolution series is usually the sleekest of any cases for a particular product.

They are pricey, but you are buying the best. Also, be prepared for a wait, particularly long if you do something custom, but a wait in any case.

15. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I'll be keeping my phone naked :p When Im not carrying a bag, I keep it in my pockets, with nothing else....when I dont have pockets, I'm going to buy one of those leather clip on cases, but that will be for rare occassions, so I cant imagine the inside getting too dirty.

16. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Those look really great, but adding bulk is my main concern. I want something as thin as possible with a tight/secure fit and top-notch quality.

17. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Ironically, the response from calvy is the most useful one you have received prior to you posting this.

18. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I have to wait until my current contract ends before getting an iPhone but I do have an iPod Touch which is even thinner than the iPhone. I much prefer not to have a case at all but I was worried I'd drop it and bought an Incase Protective Cover for it. This makes it much easier to hold securely and I don't feel it's going to slide out of my fingers any moment. Hopefully, with the curved back on the new iPhone, and with it being a bit thicker, I won't need anything on it at all when I get one.

Sorry I can't say whether it's added any scratches as there were a few on the iPod Touch before I put the case on. Some scratches on the back don't worry me too much. Don't you feel your old well-loved and well-used teddy bear has more character than he did brand new?? :)