Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

I have a 2009 Mac pro with the Gt120 graphics card fitted. I use the DVI port on the card to run a 30 inch monitor and would like to add a second smaller monitor off the same card.

My objective is to run lightroom off two screens. Is this possible and if so is there anything I need to know i.e. is there a certain type of 2nd monitor I need to buy?

thanks for any help.

Best Regards

Josh

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
The GT 120 has DVI and Mini DisplayPort out, correct? My recommendation would be to find a monitor you like with either DVI, DP, or MDP input. Of course, if you choose DVI, you'll need an adapter (as to run two DVI monitors from your card).

I would also recommend staying away from HDMI for now. There are some scattered issues involving computer monitors, cable quality, resolution, etc that's best to avoid if possible.

For photo work I would recommend a matte monitor, but for accurate color reproduction you'll probably spend over $1000, so if that's too much, just go with any monitor you like.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks.
My primary monitor was over a 1000 dollars and is matte. Since I intend using the second monitor to put lightroom tools on I was thinkingnof something much cheaper and smaller.

Do both monitors have to run at the same resolution when using one card?

Does it matter if they are different sizes?

Thanks for the help.

Best regards

Josh

The GT 120 has DVI and Mini DisplayPort out, correct? My recommendation would be to find a monitor you like with either DVI, DP, or MDP input. Of course, if you choose DVI, you'll need an adapter (as to run two DVI monitors from your card).

I would also recommend staying away from HDMI for now. There are some scattered issues involving computer monitors, cable quality, resolution, etc that's best to avoid if possible.

For photo work I would recommend a matte monitor, but for accurate color reproduction you'll probably spend over $1000, so if that's too much, just go with any monitor you like.

interslicer

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
it can be any brand and any size you could use a super old crt monitor if it has the proper connections. apples display preferences in system preferences allow you to put the screens where you want to relative to the other screen so if one is smaller you can center it on the side of the other, or line up the bottoms, or anything else. you can even put one on top of the other vertically, or rotate one 90 degrees. really there are very few limits.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
thanks All,

Very helpful. Looking forward to having all my lightroom tools on one monitor and to see the image full size my calibrated large screen.

Best Regards

Josh

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Thanks All,

Now have two monitors running off the same card. Used a mini display port to DVI adapter to connect the second monitor.

All is well. Loving the extra desktop space. Now would love to be able to calibrate the second monitor like I do with my primary.

I have a NEC multisync as my primary and calibrate it using an eye one. However I don't think I can calibrate the second screen to use its own profile but please someone correct me if I am wrong. Not that vital as my calibrated screen is what I will be using to view the photographs but would be nice.

Best regards

Josh

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
Each display can run its own calibrated profile. When you open Displays in System preferences there will be a preferences window on each display. From here you can choose resolution, rotation, and color profile for each display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.