iPhone need help on updates, sort of new to ios

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by uisim151, Dec 25, 2013.

1. uisim151 macrumors regular

uisim151

Ok so after unfavorable stability with android phones i got myself a 5s with evasi0n7 as of a few days ago. Ive been away for a while, since the iphone 4, and now i read that apple likes to auto update their devices. I read that this happens going from ios6 to 7 but I'm not sure.
    I know there are cydia packages that black out the update button to prevent accidents but does that mean a update can still be downloaded, just not installed?
    Does the auto update even apply to my phone?
    What is a good package to use in order to block the accidental update?
    Anyone have a good link on what addresses from apple to block so that it cant auto download an update?
    I read that adding 0.0.0.0 su.itunes.apple.com to your host file prevents the check, is this enough?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

if you jailbreak with evasi0n7, it automatically blocks it. it won't download or find any update

3. uisim151 thread starter macrumors regular

uisim151

oh awesome thanks for the quick reply i did not know that. Just for my comfort, will i still show the little (1) next to settings when a new one is available? and IF theoretically it were to download, can I get into the system files with af2c on my device and delete it?

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

if you go into settings -> general -> updates, it'll keep spinning that circle infinitely

if it were to download, yes, you can go into the file system and delete it

5. uisim151 thread starter macrumors regular

uisim151

Ha! that explains the infinite load. thanks again, now i can sleep soundly.

6. uisim151 thread starter macrumors regular

uisim151

also, does anyone have a link on how to restore a 5s without updating to the latest IOS version. say 7.1 comes out and i screw up the phone with a tweak. how do I restore the phone without I tunes updating the firmware. Any link on how to do this with or without iTunes or safe mode would be appreciated. Thanks

7. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Not possible. If you are forced to restore then you will have to upgrade to the latest signed firmware version. You can try tools like iLexRat to fix your problem before restoring through iTunes though.

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

as said above, you can't. you can only updated to whatever version that is currently signed by apple (usually is the latest version)