Need Help on what to buy to view or record from tv?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WizardHunt, Feb 1, 2008.

1. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I am wondering if it is possible to view or record tv shows from my tv to my mac? I am aware of Apple TV that lets you view itunes stuff to your tv but it does not work the other way. also is there something out there on the market that does both, where you can view videos or movies from mac to tv and from tv to mac, both ways? Is there such a product?

Any suggestions?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

An Elgate EyeTV is a tivo for your Mac that lets you record cable or satellite or antenna into your mac, edit and watch or burn it. If that is what you are asking.

www.elgato.com

3. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

ok, great, what about taking it both directions? Would I need to buy and install apple tv too if I wanted that option, another words apple tv for watching videos from my mac to tv, and Elgate EyeTV for videos or shows from tv to my mac?

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Yep, essentially you could record tv into your Mac from the EyeTV which I think works like a tivo with scheduling and all those things allowing you to record shows on a weekly basis etc. Then it has a feature for exporting the files into H.264 direct to iTunes and I'm not sure if it doesn't record commercials or if you have to edit them out prior to export. Either way you can go commercial free, it just might take a few extra minutes of your time. Then you can use an Apple TV to watch all that content on your tv when you want to. You don't even need to sync it, just stream it to your tv.

5. WizardHunt thread starter macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

Cool. Thanks..