Need help on what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anonymouslives, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I really don't know what to get. I'm contemplating getting a 24" Imac, a 13" Macbook (white) with external 24" ACD display, a 17" last generation macbook pro (2.5/4GB/200HD Matte-REFURB) or the new 17" Macbook pro matte 2.66. I'm having such a hard time choosing. I spend most of my time 90%+ at home. I'd like something to work on music, photography, videos, etc. I'm not hard core into any of it and am pretty much a noob, but want room to grow.

What would you pro apple consumers recommend? Thanks!

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well if you're gonna be home most of the time get the 24" iMac. :)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Which iMac model were you considering? :confused:

For the most part, a MacBook Pro is essentially a portable iMac (with a smaller screen, of course). If you got a 17" MBP (I suggest the new version), you probably wouldn't need anything else. However, if you want to use it mostly at your desk, but sometimes take out outside, then get the 15" MBP and just use the money you save on an external monitor of some sort. That'll give you a good system at your desk, a good machine to grow with, and a good machine for portability.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I've been contemplating much of the same thing...

If Apple would ship to military addresses, I'd get the refurb 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac as my Dell 8100 is my oldest computer in the house and could stand replacment...

The on-base NEX had a new gen white book for $949 and a previous gen 20" iMac NIB for $979 - as they were both the last ones, I bought them both so I could decide which I wanted...I'd use the 20" Sharp LCD I had from the Dell if I keep the white book... I have a fairly new eeePC1000H so its not like I need the portability of the whitebook so I think the previous gen 20" iMac is the way to go but I have 10 more days to decided :banghead

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go into an apple store or best buy to play around with the models to see which one you'd like. It doesn't sound like you're needs are too demanding, so I'd guess any of the current models would meet them.

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Well since it's an option for you I say the MacBook and the ACD. I recently just sold my PB (on here actually) and I miss it dearly. I can no longer lay in bed and post on these forums. I can no longer type up that essay while on the couch.

I only have my Mac Mini now and it's in a high traffic area AKA bad for school work. Being mobile is so sweet, you'll love it.

And plus you say you are on the road/out of the house 10%.

My vote: MacBook w/ ACD.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

8. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

9. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

12", sold to cleanup. And actually gave him the box, manual and disks today.

10. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Personally I've always wanted a notebook but since I purchased my MBP it's barely left my desk... :( Get the imac if you dont think you'll be moving it around much.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The white MacBook and 24" LED Cinema Display are incompatible.

12. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

How is that possible, isn't there an adapter that would make them compatible? Looks like DVI to Mini, right?

13. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

Here's another possibility to consider

Instead of going for the white Macbook and ACD, go for a unibody Macbook and a Dell, or other non-Apple monitor.

You should find plenty of quality monitors at half the price of the ACD and be able to put the money into a better computer.

14. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Yeah, I guess that's an option too. I also have a guy that lives near me, who is willing to sell me his 23" last gen Apple cinema display, which is 6 months old - for $550. It's very pretty as well. I just don't know what to do :(

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Doesn't exist. You will need an aluminium MacBook.

16. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

So what do you guy think of the last, aluminum 23" ACD, I can get it today for $500 from the guy. I'm just not sure. If I do get it, what should I get to hook up to it?

17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I wouldn't get the old ACD unless you are getting an old computer. I have the 24" LED backlit ACD, and it is amazing. It also includes, speakers, video cam, and USB hub... as well as power for a new MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro.

So, I would say if you get a WhiteBook or older Mac, get the 23" ACD, but know you will be missing out on what is new and cool.

I would suggest you consider a refurbished unibody MB for $1099 with a refurbished 24" LED ACD for $799. They both come like new and include full one year warranty. Also, the unibody MB will be used with the 24" ACD most of the time which is very capable. The times when you need it to be portable, it will be really portable. It gives you the very best of both worlds. Heck, I use a MBA with a 24" LED ACD and love it, and the MB has more ports and slightly faster CPU and etc.

Good luck.

18. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

Exactly the same experience as me: I miss my previous (Windows) laptop so much over my new Mac mini thanks to the fixed location (and at a desk): I'm getting a MacBook Air and a 24" ADC instead.

19. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I've decided to get the used 23" matte ACD cinema display. I figure $500 is a lot better than $799-899 + tax. I also like the matte screen better than the glossy, because : A) I don't like the reflections and B) The glossy screens give me headaches.

I'm not sure what to get to connect to it now. I'm leaning toward a last generation macbook pro with matte screen, probably the 15.4". I guess I'd be looking for anything from the 2.4/2GB/200HD. This would also work out well because I like the older keyboard a LOT more than the newer one. The newer one I believe is less comfortable, slower, and easily gets stained with grease marks, and have these glossy shiny marks. I figure I can get one for probably $1,100-$1,200, about what a new plain Macbook would cost with tax. I'd like one still under applecare, that's either already been extended, or still can be.

What do you guys think? If I'm missing something, or if something else would be better, let me know. Thanks.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think this would suit you very well. The previous incarnation of the Macbook Pros/Powerbooks is a solid design.