Need help on which MacBook to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I Like Apple Computers, Nov 13, 2016.

1. I Like Apple Computers macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my Mid 2012 MacBook Air (128gb, 8gb RAM, 1.8gHz i5).

I am a student and will be using the computer primarily for note taking, microsoft office, web-surfing, watching movies, and maybe the occasional editing.

I am heavily looking into the new MacBook pro as I would love to buy new technology and want a new form factor (the 12" MacBook is just too small and too underpowered for my liking).

The biggest dilemma I am facing is trying to justify the purchase of the 13" with or without the touch bar. I like the functionality of the touch bar, but am not sure if the extra $300 price tag is worth it for my needs. The extra speed bump, and the extra two ports really doesn't concern me as i probably will not be using them.

In the end, I plan on selling the computer after 5 years. Do you guys think it is worth it to buy it with or without the touch bar with resale value in mind 5 years from now?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I think I'm getting old. I personally don't understand the need or desire for the Touch Bar. If it takes off and becomes the norm, it will still be the 1st generation and if they keep it on all their models it will be dated in 5 years anyway.

If purely resale value, you will not re-coop the extra money spent. If you want the latest and greatest, then the $300 is worth it, right?

I recently went from a 15" MBP to a 12 rMB. So I'm going the other way. Portability is important to me these days.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With the TB based MBP, you get a faster processor (15w vs 45w), more ports and the Touch Bar, I think overall you're getting more bang for your buck. If you're looking for a computer to last you years, then the faster model would seem to be the logical choice

4. roksraka macrumors member

I think that for your needs your Air should last you another year or two. If you really want to upgrade, the base model without the touch-bar should be more than what you need. Even without TB it's overpriced...