Need help! - Phone app not working

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Hey guys,
I was hoping some of you could help me..

(I'm running iOS 8.0.2 on my iPhone 5C)
Got a problem with the phone app.. When I open the app, it freezes. Like, I can't do anything in the app, wether its dialing a number, or try to open one of the other tabs like contacts.. can't do anything, it's just freezed.. I can close it withouth problems and continue, but the app itself won't react to anything.

Thanks

virtuosity

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hey guys,
I was hoping some of you could help me..

(I'm running iOS 8.0.2 on my iPhone 5C)
Got a problem with the phone app.. When I open the app, it freezes. Like, I can't do anything in the app, wether its dialing a number, or try to open one of the other tabs like contacts.. can't do anything, it's just freezed.. I can close it withouth problems and continue, but the app itself won't react to anything.

Thanks
Assume you've tried restarting the device?

If so, it might be worth backing up your device, and reinstalling the OS from scratch, and the restoring your personal config/data. There are plenty of threads on how to do this.

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Assume you've tried restarting the device?

If so, it might be worth backing up your device, and reinstalling the OS from scratch, and the restoring your personal config/data. There are plenty of threads on how to do this.
Yup, I've restarted it, didn't help though..

I'll try to reinstall then.

Thanks!

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Yup, I've restarted it, didn't help though..

I'll try to reinstall then.

Thanks!
Have you tried manually killing all background apps in the fast app switcher, and also turning of background processes for all apps in your settings?

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Have you tried manually killing all background apps in the fast app switcher, and also turning of background processes for all apps in your settings?
Oh! No, I haven't tried that.

How does that work??

----------

If you mean the double-click on the home button, and killing all apps from there, then yes, i tried that.

But turning off the background processes??

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
kill the app first: double click on the home button then slide the phone app up to make it disappear.
Then try to open it again
Nope, didn't help it.. :-(

Anybody else??
Someone who has the same issues??

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Do an iCloud backup, then use iTunes to do a restore to 8.0.2
When activating, you will get the option to do an iCloud restore.

Best option to fix it.
Thanks, but I already did a restore, and before I used my back up, I checked the app, but It was still crashing when I opened it.. so it must be the 8.0.2 version, but it haven't crashed all the time with 8.0.2, just recently..

Romf

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2011
Paris, France
Thanks, but I already did a restore, and before I used my back up, I checked the app, but It was still crashing when I opened it.. so it must be the 8.0.2 version, but it haven't crashed all the time with 8.0.2, just recently..
Then only thing left is set up as new and redownload everything (don't restore). Probably your backup is corrupted

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Could it be something with your SIM card and/or cellular/mobile service?

PEN10k

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2012
Denmark
Then only thing left is set up as new and redownload everything (don't restore). Probably your backup is corrupted
Did that already.. before I used my backup, and the phone was "new", I checked it, to see wether it was the backup or not, but it still didn't work.

----------

Could it be something with your SIM card and/or cellular/mobile service?
Hmm.. I tried to take out the sim-card, just in case that could done something, but still nothing..

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hmm.. I tried to take out the sim-card, just in case that could done something, but still nothing..
You could try a new SIM card before changing the phone.

If unlocked you could get a cheap PAYG just to test. If locked the mobile network you are with should give you a new one, but will need to switch your number to it.

You could take it in to current mobile network shop and they ought to be able to pop a SIM in to see if it is a phone or SIM fault.