Need help picking a case for my iphone!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by momof3az, May 11, 2010.

1. momof3az macrumors newbie

Hi, I got an my first iphone (3gs) a couple of weeks ago and have been searching for a case ever since, reading reviews online, etc., and I just can't decide what to get. It seems like every case has some sort of drawback.

I already dropped my phone once and am so bummed about very minor nicks in the chrome and a scratch on the corner.

I have 3 kids so I need a good protective case as my 4 y/o likes to fiddle with my phone and play games etc.

The ones I'm looking at are the Otterbox commuter TL, Iskin solo, Speck Candyshell or See thru. I don't want something super "flashy" but I would like something with a bit of style.

My husband got the Otterbox commuter and it's way too bulky for me but I like that it has a screen protector. A screen protector is a must for me.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

2. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

It sounds like your husband probably has the Otterbox DEFENDER, not Commuter. There are two Commuter models...the Commuter and Commuter TL.

The Defender is a huge, bulky case, but provides the best protection you can find. I was like you and didn't want THAT much protection (and bulk), so it came down to the Commuter and the TL for me. I opted for the regular Commuter and I have to say I made the right choice. It's sleek, doesn't add any bulk to the phone, and gives a good level of protection. It's a silicone skin with a plastic piece that slips over that and works really well. It's also got built in port covers for your charging port and headphone jack port.

Oh, and as far as screen protection goes, if you go with any case that doesn't have a built-in screen protector (like the Defender does), you should add a screen protector. I use the anti-glare ones that AT&T stores sell and I've had great results. They don't show fingerprints, do a great job of making the screen more readable in daylight, and have already saved my screen from a nasty scratch once. Do a search on here for "anti glare" and you'll find there are lots of options to go with.

3. momof3az thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, you're right, he has the Defender not the Commuter.

So the Commuter does not have a built-in screen protector?

As far as the protectors you use, do you buy them at the store or order them?

And, one more question, what is the main differences between the reg. commuter and the commuter TL?

Now I am also looking at the incase sliders - do you have any experience with those?

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

5. Tommy94287 macrumors newbie

6. GXT macrumors newbie

Insurance...

Cases are a matter of taste, compromises, and cost...

Sorry no easy answer here.

Get insurance and keep the iPhone away from water!

7. allycat macrumors newbie

i would say go with the speck candyshell! thats the one i have its black and its called batwing.. =] they are pretty durable! i am totally obsessed with mine too =]

8. tuna macrumors 6502

I can give a strong recommendation for the Candyshell. I've been using it and I wouldn't consider any other case.

I have always liked the feel of hardshell cases better, but good soft cases obviously provide better protection.

As you probably know the candyshell is a combination of both with a hardshell exterior around a complete layer of soft material. So it has that going for it, but what really makes it a great case is the design concept and build quality. The thing is perfectly conceived. Its a single "unibody" piece that holds your phone in extremely tightly. There is no risk of the shell falling apart (its one piece) and there's no way that your phone will ever inadvertently come out of it no matter what you do. I haven't used every case, but in my opinion the candyshell seems stronger where other cases are often weak:

(1)at the bottom lip near the dock connector the case has an especially thick lip of hard plastic around the soft material which hugs the phone.

(2) around the perimeter of the front face, both the hard shell and the soft material rise a little bit in front of the face to prevent it from getting nicked at the corner.

Its a great case. They sell them at Apple Stores in the black/grey and white/grey color combos. They will have no problem with you trying them out on your phone, the box they come in is fastened with metal buttons and meant to be opened and closed. If you want to save money or want a different color combo, Amazon sells them for $19 in maybe 6 or 8 different colors.

I would say that the weaknesses of the candyshell are:

-It's a task to get the case off of the phone
    -the cutout in the case to access the volume mute switch is deep and narrow so I can't just flick it with my thumb anymore, I have to take it out and do it with a finger
    -the rubber button extensions for power button and volume rocker are pretty thick and heavy, there's no sensory feedback that you are actually activating those physical buttons. You have to learn how much pressure you have to apply.

Even of these criticisms I have, though, I would say that every single one of them is a result of a design decision which overall produced the best case. For example, the case is ***** hard to take off because of the build quality and tolerances of the case and because of how tightly it holds the phone. The cutout for the mute switch being narrow means that the switch is less exposed. The heaviness of the rubber button extensions is the result of them being physically a part of the rubber interior: by being a single piece you get a more durable case, the buttons aren't going to fall off; by being a heavier rubber, the case absorbs shock better. So you are left with relatively heavy buttons, but it seems to me to be the best design compromise.

Yeah I'm pretty enthusiastic about the case.

9. allycat macrumors newbie

i agree with the speck candyshell!! good review on it by the way very through with your explanation! =]:D

10. Xombie11 macrumors regular

Switcheasy Colors.

The material will protect it well from falls -- its very shock absorbent. Easy to clean and looks great! Oh, and it's cheap.

11. lestersolis39 macrumors newbie

My favorite iPhone case

I am using a black leather with front cover and a thin screen cover. After that, I am now enjoying my iPhone. :apple:

12. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454