Need help picking a GPS app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by simeezee, Nov 6, 2012.

1. simeezee macrumors member

I have been a long time Android phone user and just got an iPhone 5. Before under my gmail account, I have address saved for my contacts. So when I open the Navigation app, I can find my contacts and select the address. Google map will open and take me there.

Is there a similar app for the iPhone available? So I can click on the previous saved address and activate GPS.

Thanks in advance.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

There are a number of ways you can do this without any third party apps, provided your Gmail contacts are sync'd with your phone:

From the Maps app

1. Open the Maps app
    2. Tap on the "right turn" arrow graphic in the upper left corner
    3. Type your destination in the "End:" field
    4. Tap "Route" in the upper right corner
    5. Tap "Start" in the upper right corner
    From the Contacts app

1. Open the Contacts app
    2. Tap on the user
    3. Tap on the address (opens the Maps app)
    4. Tap on the "right turn" arrow graphic in the upper left corner
    5. Tap "Route" in the upper right corner
    6. Tap "Start" in the upper right corner
    There are other ways, such as from the Phone app or the Messages app, but these should get you started.

Now, if you'd rather use a third party app, there's a new section of the App Store specifically for maps so I recommend looking there.

If you'd rather use Google Maps, I believe you'll have to make due with their mobile site.

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

In iOS land, the two most common recommendations are Navigon and TomTom, both of which can open the address book and use your contact info for navigation. That said, neither of them will allow you to just be in an email, text, etc., highlight an address and have it fire up navigation. The native iOS Apple Maps somewhat does this but by many counts, just isn't ready to trust for accurate navigation.

Also be advised that Navigon and TomTom are fairly expensive but still cheaper than a decent standalone GPS.

4. soch macrumors member