Need help picking a laptop...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laserfox, Feb 13, 2009.

1. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Hi, my father just gave me $1000 to purchase a lap top for my study abroad trip to Austria. I was planning on getting a mac book, but it costs a little more and its kind of heavy.

I am very interested in netbooks. They're light, they run XP which I am very used to, and they are cheap! I am close to ordering the EEPC 1000 HA from amazon for $350 bucks!
    I wouldn't use the lap to play music, I've got the ipod touch for that, nor did I ever watch movies when I had a Toshiba Satellite. So the lack or a cd/dvd burner doesn't worry me. I just need a word processor to crank out those papers on global warming, research, reading, and facebook.

So my question is, should I take the plunge and find the extra cash for the mac book, which does feel really solid and expensive although I have never used the OS extensively.
    Or should I go the cheaper route, with 700 dollars saved towards the trip expenses.?

Do you guys own any netbooks?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've got the 701 EEE PC(from 2007, so a very early netbook)

It has was downfalls(small battery, low resolution, tiny keyboard) but the model you're looking at seems to fix that.

I'd also look at the Dell Mini 9 and HP netbooks(keyboards on those look great!)

Oh, and if you can wait, do so, nVidia and Intel have some new things in the pipes, and Asus has a nice tablet netbook coming(if you're into that)

3. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

Yes I saw the tablet from ASUS and it looks sweet, however that 8.9 inch screen isn't going to work for me. I need at least a 10 inch screen.

Light is what I am most interested in. I go to school very far from home, so I have a long commute and I also carry books/supplies.

I am thinking about waiting, but technology is always changing. New things will always come out and if it is that good that I must upgrade, I will sell it to my mother who is also planning on getting a laptop.

4. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

If I were to buy a netbook, it'd probably be the HP Mini 1000
    It's a beautiful netbook and from what I hear, preforms real nicely.

5. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

Yea it looks great but that track pad...weird!

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Try checking the MacBooks in the Refurb Store on Apple.com. I got my MBP there and it saved a big chunk off the regular price - and for all intents and purposes it's just as good as new. (In fact when I went into the store, the Sales Rep told me to go home and check the refurb section on the site first - he said that since they're used, anything out of the ordinary is replaced as a precaution and since it's pre owned the company goes over them with a finer tooth comb than the new ones...)

However, I can see wanted to go cheaply. Netbooks are getting snappier all the time as they get more popular.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Sony VAIO is going to be releasing a netbook in the near future. I hadn't read anything about price, but that would probably be a quality brand to check out.

I also agree with Melrose about Apple refurb section for a 13" MB.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

The 1000HA is fantastic. It's one of the bulkier netbooks, but it's one of the best values out there, and the 6 cell battery is nearly a must. With a 3-4 cell you'll get 2-4 hours max. Six cell pushes it up to 6-7, on par with massively more expensive ultraportables and subnotebooks. The six cell Acer Aspire One is an even better value, but it's keyboard is far less comfortable than the 1000HA.

Personally I would pick up either an Asus or an HP Mini 1000/1100, but since the HP's don't have six cell batteries yet, I'd go for an Asus 10" if you can't afford to wait. Don't bother with the 9" ones: their keyboards are awful. Impossible to type on unless you're a petite female with delicate hands.

9. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

MSI WIND
    Biggest hardrive in the lot, and runs mac os great if you buy a copy.

But I'd get a macbook preferably, much more powerful and way less awkward to use.
    As for the weight...depends on how much you travel. A few international flights a year has never been a problem for me and the white macbook. But carrying it in my backpack in the city one day really really got sore.

10. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

Hey guys I just pre-ordered the new EEE-PC 1000HE from Amazon,for $374 With tax the cost came to $405 and I also ordered a 2gb ram replacement for $28. Should arrive in March! Hope I made the right choice.

11. Zews macrumors newbie

You made the right choice. And, if you're so inclined, with some online searches and a bit of work, you can run Leopard on it.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Boing boing has a good chart on which netbooks are the best to convert to os x. Each model is a link to the best website detailing the conversion process.

The website suggested the msi wind, lenovo s10 ideapad, dell mini 9 and hp mini 1000.

Due to build construction and keyboards, I'd suggest the hp or lenovo, closely followed by the dell mini 9. The msi wind is the one most widely converted, but issues with using the keyboard and the mattel build quality turned me off of it.

13. baseballdude345 macrumors newbie

It depends on what you would be using it for. Maybe if your using a MacBook for film, graphic design, or any other thing that you need a high processor and good graphics for. If you are only going to be using it for homework, I would suggest just spending the $350 on the other laptop. I have MacBook and love it because I am into film making and need professional applications like Final Cut Studio 2. To answer your question, it depends on what you would be using it for. If you don't want it for music, videos, or graphic design of some sort, there is no reason to spend the money on it. Hope I helped a little.

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wait, let me get this right, he's giving you a budget of $1000 so you chose a terrible $350 netbook?
    You can save $700 for your trip, but the netbook will be lucky to last your trip, plus depending what you want to do on it most likely will be trashable in 2 years.

15. bntz313 macrumors 6502

16. kdimitt macrumors member

I have macbook myself. They are great machine and I would recommend them to anyone wanting a personal computer, but it sounds like in your case a netbook would be the choice. A macbook is reaching the price limit and is more than what you want. Why spend the money if you don't need what your getting. I would spend the 1000 on a really nice netbook. The one your looking at is pretty good, but if you have 1000 to spend, go ahead and get a really nice netbook.

17. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

if i was getting a netbook i would go with the dell mini 9

18. Zews macrumors newbie

Bad choice, very bad choice.

Dell mini 9 specs:
    Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, 533MHz front-side bus)
    1 GB RAM, not upgradable
    Glossy 8.9 inch backlit LED display (1024X600)
    Up to 16GB configured with a Solid State drive and Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition.
    Up to 32GB configured with a Solid State drive and Ubuntu Linux.
    802.11g
    3 hours battery

Asus 1000HE specs:
    Intel Atom Processor N280, 1.66-GHz, 667MHz front-side bus
    1GB RAM, upgradable to 2 GB
    10" screen
    160GB HDD plus 10GB of online storage
    802.11b/g/n
    Up to 7 hours of battery.

And you'd pick the dell mini 9. That's just plain stupid.

19. elite macrumors newbie