Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asteroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Hello:

I am a long time lurker but first time poster. I have wanted a Mac since I used them in college (the old Mac II si, the big color ones with separate monitors; this was, I believe, 1989), but have gotten one for one reason or another. Now, I have clearance from the wife to get one. My question is, which one would fit my needs the best.

I currently use a little netbook for email, web browsing, etc. I would like to keep mobility as it is nice to be able to sit on the couch and relax while I read/work, however not absolutely necessary. However, I really need the Mac to do some light photo and video work. We have a firewire minidv camcorder and I need to have access to firewire. I would use the Mac to make some videos/dvds of the kids. Also, I want to be able to take digital pictures off our camera, touch them up, and use them in iLife. Would the white macbook have the horse power to handle the video editing and photo work or should I step up to the macbook pro? Any input would be appreciated.

TIA

Brandon

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
If you're happy with your netbook... get the iMac. It's a perfect all-in-one and it's more affordable now. The performance is great and you can use it as your home computer. The netbook will be a good computer for checking email when u don't want to walk to your computer. If you really absolutely need a portable one... get the MacBook otherwise the iMac is the best option for you.

The iMac also makes a great family computer. It's good for kids as kids tend to break laptops more than desktops. :)

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
As arthursiew suggested, I would also keep the netbook for mobility use. I would get the base iMac, since it does pretty well what you said in your post. So... my vote would go there.

Cheer

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I second the iMac, very powerfull machine.
You just need a 4pin to 800 Firewire cable as the new iMacs only have FW 800 sockets.
BUT even the old white macbook (that has FW, the new Macbook dosen´t) would handle DV editing quite well, even HDV editing would be possible

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
I'll echo everything everyone else has said thus far.

I have an iMac for my home desktop use and a netbook to be mobile around the house (and when traveling) and chat/email to keep in touch with friends and family.

It's a really nice setup thus far, and works very well for me.

asteroth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems that everyone favors the iMac. I am not sure that it would fit my desk space. What would the difference in performance be between the iMac and the white macbook in clamshell mode with a separate monitor?

Brandon

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Thanks for all the replies so far. It seems that everyone favors the iMac. I am not sure that it would fit my desk space. What would the difference in performance be between the iMac and the white macbook in clamshell mode with a separate monitor?

Brandon

You really don't need to use it in clamshell mode. I use my MBP with a ACD and have the ACD as the main when they are linked up. I use the MBP screen for my chat program and facebook sometimes. This way I can work on the ACD and just check the MBP for friends trying to talk to me.

If u have the 2nd monitor, u might want to just get the new white macbook to benefit from dual screens. Plus you will have the mobility as well. Its a great combo.

The only thing I can't comment on is how the white macbook would handle light video work. But if your not gonna do anything too intensive, it may just be plenty for u.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.