Need help playing .mov

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wlh99, Aug 7, 2009.

1. wlh99 macrumors 6502

First you can get it here:

ftp.kofytv.com
    user: codec
    password codec

The movie inspector in quicktime calls it MPEG. I bought and installed Apples MPEG2 codec. I also have Final Cut Pro installed on the machine. But it won't play.

I need to be able to play back files of this type. I am able to purchase the appropriate codec, even an expensive one, but how do I find it.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Do you have Perian installed?

If not, install it, it's free.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Look up a thing called Metadata Hootenanny, then drag your file onto the window. Press the button in the lower right that looks like a railroad track, then change the video fourcc to 'mp2v', then save. This should enable Quicktime to open the file.

4. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

yup, doesn't help. I'm hoping that someone will have better tools than me to examine the file, find out what it is, and what I need. Iv'e thrown everything I can think of at it (including Perian) to no avail.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm downloading the file right now and will look at it.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I DLed it, I got audio, but no video ...

I think it may be a DivX or Xvid file.

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

it looks like its come of a Omneon video server, with their codec, i know my work uses them for transmission, and we cant export directly from FCP to the Omneon, so i suspect the codec is PC only

they have a download section...

http://www.omneon.com/support/downloads.html

good luck

8. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think anyone else on here would be using an Omneon server! They do in fact work with FCP(omneon supports DV), I saved the support document on it to the FTP location so you can try it if you like.

Omneon claims that the file is MPEG, but it won't play anywhere other then the Omneon server. This file is sent to us from a third party (Extreme Reach) to play on our Omneon server, and we need to view/edit on a Mac prior to transfering it into the Omneon server.

I can go back and forth with files created by FCP or Omneon fine. I just don't know what it is with this third party file that will play on the Omneon and not on a Mac. (or a PC)

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The problem is not the mpeg, it is the long GOP in the file name. Long GOP MPEG-2 is a codec used by digital camcorders in low-bandwidth transmission professional television applications. This technology is intended for CNN, not your child's dance recital. A compatible codec costs more than many prosumer HDV camcorders.

The only way that you will be able to edit this video on your personal computer is to get an engineer at the station to transcode it to a consumer format.

10. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am the station engineer and I'm not trying to edit this on my home computer. I have a budget for an expensive codec, I just can't find out what will work.

Even if I were to transcode it (which I'd rather not do because the file needs to remain compatible with our Omneon server and because of losses transcoding causes) I'd still need some software that will work with it. We have explored Telestream Flipfactory, but it is an extra level of transcoding we hope to avoid, and all said and done was going to be about $20k.

Nothing I am dealing with here is Prosumer with the possible exeption of the Mac. But even that is a hard call with about $100k invested in that system. If you can point me to a professional codec that will work, please do.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As far as I can tell, Telestream is the way to go. It explicitly supports the Omneon server. There is no way to avoid transcoding the video into an editable format. Long GOP MPEG-2 is a highly compressed implementation of the MPEG-2 standard. MPEG-2 cannot be edited natively. There are systems that do the transcoding of less compressed MPEG-2 in memory rather than to a file, but it still must be done. I have not found any other developer of Long GOP MPEG-2 codecs for Final Cut Pro.

I suggest that you get on the phone with Telestream's sales people and start talking.

12. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Opened the file in Quicktime player, no worky.
    [​IMG]

Opened the file in Metahoot.
    [​IMG]

Clicked the railroad track-like button (bottom right). Note which edit field is selected.
    [​IMG]

Wrote in 'mp2v' (it will automatically convert to backwards, do not mind this).
    [​IMG]
    Save the file (I like saving as reference).

Magic happen.
    [​IMG]

If the audio get corrupted, try saving it again as a new file.

13. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

(images deleted)
    No need for boldface. I did try that yesterday. The audio got corrupted, and it still didn't play the video. Obviously it works though, so I'll definitely look closer. Thank you!

14. wlh99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jackerin,
    Thanks again, I got it working. That was just the info I need. Metadata Hootenanny seems to be a bit buggy for me to put into production, which I think is why it didn't work yesterday. But I know the underlying problem now and I can work on that with the distributors of these media files.

Are you able to get "save as self contained movie" to work, or get it to save the audio metadata correctly the first time a file is saved? It seems that the first time it saves it thinks the audio is Little Endian until I re-open and save again.