Need help please, connecting macbook to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rutsa, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rutsa macrumors newbie

I have a lcd tv with regular yellow video connectors, so I bought the mini dvi to video adapter:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=M9319G/A
    But when I'm connected (using the yellow plug) the screen is pretty much just wavy lines, not much of my actual monitor at all. I wouldn't be able to see anything I need to see.
    Unfortunately I don't have an S video plug or I'd try that since the adapter has both options.

I cheaped out and went with a Dynex, so maybe that is the problem? (If so the $3 I saved was SO not worth it!)

Or am I missing a step? Or will it only work with S video?

Thanks so much!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I used to use the dvi to video adapter with my old tv and the quality was ok for video playback but awful for the OS and applications...very fuzzy and hard (impossible, really) to read. I currently use dvi to hdmi with my new tv and the quality is excellent. So my guess is it's just the limits of the quality of the cable and connection.

3. rutsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I'd take bad quality!
    What I mean is you can't see anything. Just wavy lines and way in the background some chunks of the stuff on my laptop monitor.
    I just want the two of us to be able to watch a web tv show on a bigger screen...not expecting great quality, just a bit more comfort than crowding around the laptop. And right now, there is no way I could read a word or see a face in it. It's like a tv with no cable or antenna...you can tell there's an image somewhere but it's flickering and covered with lines.

So there must be a bigger issue.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Oh...sounds like a bad cable then, perhaps? I presume your laptop works ok with external monitors (just making sure it's not the mini dvi port itself). That or your tv is on the wrong input setting...kind of sounds like when you used to hook up a vcr and the cable would get fuzzy but still play if you had it on the wrong settings...if that makes any sense.

5. rutsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep that's what it's like

I just went and bought an s-video cable and no change with that.
    I guess I"ll take back the Dynex and get the Apple adapter.
    I've never tried to connect to an ext. monitor so I have no idea if that port works but I assume so...pretty new macbook. And of course it didn't come with any cables to try that out.
    Oh well.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Does your LCD have the VGA...

connection in the back? If it does, make sure you get the correct adapter. You might even want to take your MB with you to make sure they sell the right adapter (speaking from experience). Don't use those cheezy yellow cables! Make certain that you are hooked up to the correct External Inputs. Also, ensure that you are on either channel 3 or 4 whichever works for you. Your mini-DVI connection is the same thing as HD, so you'll love the desktop or whatever you mirror on your LCD. Enjoy :cool:

7. rutsa thread starter macrumors newbie

No vga

No vga on my tv. That's why I got the basic mini dvi to video in the link. Tried it both with the composite cord and the S-video cord.

8. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Hopefully I can lend some assistance as I have had some fun times with this situation myself. I have 2 suggestions that come to mind from my past experiences:

#1 - Have you recently restarted your computer? After my macbook goes to sleep from the lid being closed, if I plug in my adapter, it just doesn't work right. I don't know why, but if you haven't restarted lately, do that.

#2 - I would guess you've probably already checked this, but make sure that you are using the right video format. If you are in the US, make sure it isn't set for "PAL".

These may be totally useless, but we'll see I guess...:D

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Composite and S-Video will not support the resolution of your MacBook. Their specs are much lower. If you lower the resolution to the TV to something like 640x480, the results should be better.

If your TV has VGA, DVI, or HDMI inputs, using those will give you an immensely better image.

10. rutsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Lil brudder - thanks, I will try the restart.
    As to your suggestion #2 do you mean settings on the tv, or on the computer? Thanks!

Thanks also pastrychef. I will double check the back but I'm pretty sure my only options are composite or S.

11. dmckenzie macrumors newbie

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having the exact same problem... bought the Dynex adapter, tried it with RCA cables and no luck, then just bought an s-video cable and same thing... and its like you were saying, not even useable.

I may try the mac adapter, but will that really make a difference? I've been using the dynex one for my mini dvi to dvi for an external monitor at my desk and its been error free.

12. rutsa thread starter macrumors newbie

When I returned the Dynex adapter to Best Buy the girl who processed it for me told me she had the same thing until she bought the Apple version of it.
    BB did not sell the Apple one so I didn't get it and then I haven't made my way to an Apple store yet. But apparently that's the issue -the Dynex ones just won't work for us. I also saw this info repeated online on other forums.
    Good luck!

13. dmckenzie macrumors newbie

Ok - thanks for the response. I also just took back my Dynex one to Futureshop (Canada's Bestbuy) and bought the Apple one... just plugged it in and it worked immediately with both the s-video and RCA cable.

Also in case anyone is interested, at Futureshop/BestBuy the Dynex one is $18 and the Apple on is $48 or something, but I bought the apple one at a smaller apple service store and it was only $29... not sure why such a big difference there.

Good luck