Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandra7109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Hello all I'm back after almost 2 yrs. I'm still here in chile and still have my iPhone 3GS I have a big problem and know only you guys can help. I tried to update to 6.1 and with no sim card and a jail broken phones I get the errors The problem is I can't remember how to fix it and all the YouTube videos confuse the crap out of me. Red snow won't work and I have been trying for a week now. I'm so drained I need an easy walkthru step by step for dummies. Can anyone point me to a link.i will be so grateful

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Unless you can find a jailbreak that bypasses activation, you're hosed. I'm not sure many people will be able to help you. I haven't touched a jailbreak on a 3GS in years 6.X wasn't even a twinkle in Jobs' eye at that point.

sandra7109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Yikes I wonder if I can put it back to the old ios just to get it working again. I really need it.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Which firmware do you want to restore to?
Which firmware is it now?
Which BB?

redsn0w needs to be pointed at the 6.0 IPSW to get it to work on 6.1
Download the 6.0 IPSW, in redsn0w go to extras/select IPSW and select the 6.0 IPSW now the jailbreak should work.

A SIM should be inserted to get the phone to go through the setup process, any SIM will do as redsn0w will also hacktivate it for you

sandra7109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Do you know where I can get the links for those ? I have red sow and tiny umbrella downloaded already and the SIM card I have is one from Rogers that's about 5 years old. Is that ok ? As far as ios I only tried to upgrade because an app I wanted required it. If I have to downgrade to 5.? I will I'm just not sure what bb or ios it's at now ?

sandra7109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Which firmware do you want to restore to?
Which firmware is it now?
Which BB?

Download the 6.0 IPSW, in redsn0w go to extras/select IPSW and select the 6.0 IPSW now the jailbreak should work.

A SIM should be inserted to get the phone to go through the setup process, any SIM will do as redsn0w will also hacktivate it for you

Download the 6.0 IPSW, in redsn0w go to extras/select IPSW and select the 6.0 IPSW now the jailbreak should work. How do I do this ?

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
you cant activate the phone?
I think when you install an os it will say that it needs activation using a SIM card... can't you head out to an entel or any other phone company there in Chile and get a cheap card? I got a phone and a card for like 10 bucks or something like that. Is your phone unlocked?

You can get a lot of help from ifans.com also

sandra7109

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Ok thank you so much I'm going to try it now so I just keep the old SIM card in and open red snow and point to 6.0 and than jailbreak :) I'll let you know how it goes I just have to feed the dogs first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.