need help please!!! (Microsoft Office for Mac)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iAtot, Sep 28, 2008.

1. iAtot macrumors member

hey there guys ive bought office for mac 2008 for my macbook. do you guys know if there is any downloadable compatability pack? as microsoft office that i use in college wasnt compatible to my microsoft office for mac. especially powerpoints. hope u guys can help me thanks a lot:):):apple::)

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

What version of Office does your college use? I have Office 2008 and when I open Office 2003 docs they open automatically into compatibility mode. You don't have to install any service packs.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What version do you use on your Mac, and what version is the one the college uses?

If one released before 2007 their could be a compatibility issue, but that can be overcome by saving in the appropriate format (read by both versions).

And next time be more descriptive with your thread title. It could give you more answers.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

What kind of problems are you having? Is it that you can't open their file at all, or that something looks weird when you open it? What kind of file won't open -- does the file name in in .ppt, .pptx, or something else? Do you get an error message of some sort?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. iAtot thread starter macrumors member

im not sure what version of MS office they use in college. but im pretty sure that it wasnt later than 2003.

i can open word documents on my mac but yes its on compatibility mode.
    i cannot open powerpoint at all and yes it gave me an error messege saying that it wasnt supported

those two office apps were the only ones that i mainly use at this point.

in college i cannot open any work that ive made with my mac at all.?

thanks for your reply i hope u guys can help me ...:apple:

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Without knowing what version of Office your university is using, it's hard to figure out what the problem is. If they're using a really old version of Office (2000 or earlier), then the files can't be opened by the latest versions. If that's the case, then you'll need to go through an intermediary (say, Office 2004) that still has support for really old files.

I'm not sure what you mean by this either. Do you mean that you take a file that you've created on your Mac to a Windows computer at school (say, in a computer lab on campus) and you can't open the file? What type of file are you saving (for example, is it named my_file.doc or my_file.docx) on your Mac? What is the error message that Windows Office shows you?

If you're using Windows Office at school, you should be able to tell which version of Office you're using. In the Start menu, which is where you likely launch the Office applications, the full name of the application should be there -- like Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 or PowerPoint 2000. There's a way to tell from within the application itself, I think it's in the Help? (Sorry, I honestly can't remember, and I'm in an airport right now so I don't have a Windows computer handy to see how it's done.)

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. iAtot thread starter macrumors member

sorry about that. yea thats exactly what i meant, i cannot open any work that ive done at home with my macbook.. it just wont open on widows p.c. in college. im not sure what version of office they use in college as i thought i could figure things out by mysef. ill go and find out what version is tthat 2morow. anyways thanks for your time nadyne i appreciate it.:):);)

btw the word document was saved on .docx mac

8. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

That is probably because the schools computers have an older version of office not 07 or 08.

When you click save as choose the format at the bottom. It should say .docx or .doc or other versions. Obviously choose the older version 97-03

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

"Compatibility Mode" is Microsoft slang for versions of Word previous to 2007/2008. Since 2007/2008 default file type (XML .whateverx) isn't backwards compatible (thanks, Microsoft!), you should be saving your files as older versions to ensure compatibility with previous versions of Office.

10. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Looks kinda like this:

You want the .doc version

Attached Files:

11. iAtot thread starter macrumors member

the college use office 2003. im at college now. and my powerpoint still wont open. imve managed to open a word document by saving it at .doc thanks to sou1 so1di3e.. thanks a lot u guys

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The same goes for PPT. It must be saved as a .ppt file. Some of the fancified stuff from 08 might not work on earlier versions of Office.