need help please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gem1079, Dec 13, 2010.

1. gem1079 macrumors newbie

i've had an iphone 3g, 8gb for about 18 months. the phone has fallen a couple of times, but it was always fine. over the last two months, my iphone has been getting the white screen of death. usually i would press the home and top button till i saw the apple and it would restart itself and be back to normal. but last week, i pressed the home button to wake itand it got the white screen and no matter how many times i pressed the top and home buttons, it wouldn't restart. it just went black. i could hear my texts and phone calls come thru, my ringer was working. i plugged it to itunes and it recognized it and was able to back it up(it took like 8 hours to back up, maybe because it was messed up or because i had a lot of apps. i don't know). i was able to restore it like a new phone and i wiped everything off the phone. it still didn't start up. i figured i had broken the phone somehow, like the lcd thingy(i'm not very tech savvy) or something. i left it alone and after 3 days of not turning on, it started up and i was able to reboot it. it was completely wiped clean when it started up. the screen is crystal clear with no grey/black lines on it like nothing happened
    so my question is, do i have a broken lcd thing or could an app i had on the phone caused it? please help. btw, i'm extremely happy it was able to restart itself.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. gem1079 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I too thought the something had died but everything is working including the screen. It's displaying perfectly. I'm confused as to how it could be that. I'm even writing this post with my iPhone. So can a screen die and come back to life or something? I can see everything on the screen. If it had died I wouldn't be able to see anything on the screen, right?

4. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Apple replace these.

Same thing happened to a friend at work, dropped his phone and got a white screen. Got it replaced at the genius bar the very next day.

I think it was a relatively common issue a while ago

5. gem1079 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I know apple can replace broken parts. For $199. I'm totally out of warranty and I didnt get insurance so I doubt they'll doubt fix it for free. And I've always been able to fix the white screen myself with a reboot till the other day. I just left it alone for 3-4 days after trying everything I knew and it restarted. I don't get it. Can the screen or any other part of the IPhone be broken but the phone actually work fine? Why did it die for 3-4 days and then start to work? Sorry for all the questions, but it's really confusing for me.

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

no sorry i meant they replaced it for free.

it was a common issue with the 3G's when you dropped them, often you would get the white screen of death.

take it to the genius bar, just tell them it dropped off your bed onto carpet then the next thing you know white screen.