Need help purchasing the best MacBook for myself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by szuchie, Nov 5, 2016.

1. szuchie macrumors newbie

I am deciding on a MacBook Pro since my Desktop is running out of storage and it is getting pretty worn out.

I only stream videos, and the only files I have on my computers are literally just music and photos (and apps from my phone) all on my computer, and that takes up 475 gb. I need to get a new desktop because I can't accept any more files onto my computer because I have literally zero room, and every time I add more music I have to delete (or transfer the music to the USB, delete it off my computer) to make room for new music, so there's no point for me getting a new laptop (don't want a desktop anymore) if I am only going to get 512 GB.

So my questions are...
    - What is the best MacBook for me? I literally am only using it for browsing, music and pictures.
    - Currently, my desktop is packed with 475gb so I am looking for a laptop with more room than that. The ones on the Apple website, the maximum storage I see on there is 512 gb... could I get one with more? What is the prices?
    - The new Macbook apparently doesn;t have any USB, I do need one to help transfer files from time to time. Is there an alternative?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    Additional information:

My desktop is 9 years old and it took me 9 years to accumlate 475gb on my computer... so I am looking for a laptop that will last me a good 9 years. I will automatically be using 475gb right from the get go since I am transfering all my audio, picture and app files onto my laptop.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you want a laptop, then you could get by with the non touchbar 13" and upgrade the hdd to the 1tb model. I think that is about 2k with that upgrade.

• 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    • 8GB 1866MHz memory
    • 1TB PCIe-based SSD
    • Intel Iris Graphics 540
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    And this adaptor will get you the USB you need sometimes it is $9

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter?fnode=8b

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

MacBooks will max out a 512gb. MacBook pros you could get up to 1tb on a 13" MacBook Pro and as much as 2tb on a 15" MacBook Pro but it will get spendy quick. The cheapest 15" MacBook Pro with 2tb is $3800. With 1tb $3000. A 13" MacBook Prow with a 1tb drive starts at $2100.

You could also keep some of your data on a wireless hard drive or another computer and access it via wireless.

If you go to the windows world if the laptop takes a regular 2.5" drive you could install a 2tb spinning drive. Depending on the thickness of the drive bay you might be able to install an even larger ssd drive. There are even a few laptops that have more than one drive that you could upgrade with larger hard drives.

4. szuchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Price doesn't really matter to me because I need the laptop to replace my desktop in the longevity, even if it's close to 9 years.

I think the touchbar is cool, but realistically I don't need it right? Did you suggest to remove it so I could save the money to upgrade to the 1TB model?

5. speedbumpnv macrumors 6502

You can get a new 2016 MacBook Pro with a smaller drive and store things you access less often of an external drive connected over thunderbolt. This might be a little cheaper than springing for an $600 1tb upgrade.

6. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Didn't seem like there was anything you were doing to warrant needing it, based on your needs list. So figured you didn't need to spend the extra money. If you like the touchbar you could go with that model. I am looking forward to the possibilities with it.

7. szuchie thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand it gets pricey, again my desktop lasted me almost ten years, so if I spend 5K (hypothetically speaking) than it's a good investment for me. However, I only want to spend on upgrades that are necessary for my daily uses (again, I only use my laptop for: browsing, streaming, and I need room for music files, photos, and my apps on my phone). I do not want to spend additional money on upgrading on nice "graphics" when I don't even play games (on my checkout cart there is a Graphic option that is "455 with 2GB memoy" or "460 with 4GB memory" with $120 additional add ons. Unless those "Graphic Add Ons" means better quality for viewing when I stream, then I don't want it (sorry not into tech terms that is why I put it in quotation).
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    I'd rather have all my files on one computer to be honest, it's easier for me when I have music on my iphone. Example on my desktop, I have almost 4,000 music on my computer, all in one folder. But because my mom use to use this computer, I have a seperate folder for her, and some of her music she has are my files too, so when I sync music on my iphone it gets complicated when files are missing when it is just easier to have it all in one. Sorry if that doesn't make sense but I am quite anal haha.

8. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

You can configure the old model 15" w/ 1tb for $2600.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This is a good answer. It's the first thing that came to mind. I'd also note you can get a external USBC hard drive which may be better as you can keep files you don't use very often on it.

10. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

I didn't agree with the external drive at first for OP needs but now, it would be more beneficial in the long run since you agree that you're investing in this. You should think about it...

11. szuchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, which one are you recommending?

And can't I just get the 1TB model + the USBC hard drive? Or is that too much? I've accumlated 475gb through 9 years, so I think 1TB should last me another 9 years.

12. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

There are a lot of MacBooks that are 10 years old that still function, but it would not be wise to expect it too. 3-5 years is much more realistic.

Buying a MacBook with that much storage is so... expensive. It sounds to me like you need a computer with the power of the MBP sans touch bar or even a rMB. So you are paying for a ton of power you don't need, and over paying for storage.

You could literally buy a computer for $12-$1500 and a damn nice external RAID enclosure for $3-400 which will offer you data security and expandable storage later on..

The price of 2TB of storage from Apple is just stupid.

13. szuchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm.. thanks for enlightening me, my technology-knowledge friends told me that desktops are more "powerful" than laptops, but I have also seen my friends that have replaced their desktops with laptops and has been using it for years, except they do not have as many files as I do. I'm guessing, ideally what I need it seems like is a desktop, with everything I need/want and it will be less expensive... darn, I really wanted a laptop since it is more portable.

14. protoxx, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

For the price of a honkin' high end macbook pro w/ 2gb you can get both a desktop and a pleasant lower end laptop.

Ex. 27" 5k imac w/ 3tb fusion drive $2200 + Macbook Air w/ 256gb $1200 or 512gb $1400 or Macbook 2/ 256gb $1300 or 512gb $1600.

15. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Desktops tend to be more powerful than laptops. But yeah, as aforementioned, buy a desktop and a laptop or iPad. Mac or PC, your choice. But a 15" MBP with 1 or 2TB of storage is just a really inefficient solution, in your case.

Also, files continue to get larger and larger. I'm surprised you have only accumulated half a terabyte in the last 10 years. 1TB of storage almost certainly will not be enough for you in another 10 years.