Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billierose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Austin, Texas
Hey There,

I have tried to copy over my iTunes library and I can't get the songs to work. If I try and play a song, it asks me if I would like to locate it and if I choose it from the external HD, that song will work. I changed the library location in the Advanced menu also, but it still isn't working. Any ideas?? My HD is connected via firewire, do I need to add the USB or switch them out?:confused:Any help will be GREATLY appriciated!

-billierose

mattyxxl

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Hey There,

I have tried to copy over my iTunes library and I can't get the songs to work. If I try and play a song, it asks me if I would like to locate it and if I choose it from the external HD, that song will work. I changed the library location in the Advanced menu also, but it still isn't working. Any ideas?? My HD is connected via firewire, do I need to add the USB or switch them out?:confused:Any help will be GREATLY appriciated!

-billierose

NickEm009

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
Macintosh Portable
Save all of the songs to your computers HDD, then using "Disk Utility", located in the "Utilities" folder erase and format the external HDD. Once that is complete, drag and drop your entire "Music" folder onto the external HDD, and just like you've already done, make sure under iTunes Advance settings the library source is set to your external HDD. Try and good luck!:apple:

mattyxxl

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
try again, I just used these steps about 2 weeks go to do mine. Should work!

I actually used that page to get the library over in the first place. It still isn't working. I am currently moving it all back over and I am going to try again I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.