Need Help Quick! Broken MBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tokenmatch, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tokenmatch macrumors newbie

So basically I had one of my famous tantrums and ended up throwing a spongebob squarepants toy I got from burger king years ago at my MBP's screen.
    I can't see anything from one side now, so I hooked an external monitor onto my MBP with the hopes of still being able to use it. It worked, the only problem is that i'm having trouble making my external monitor my primary screen. Is there any way I can switch my external monitor into primary?
    Keep in mind I can't see through a little less than half of my original screen, so any special tab commands to open something up would be greatly appreciated.

2. tokenmatch thread starter macrumors newbie

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Not sure of i understand you right, but..go to display preferences in system preferences, you should be able to see half of it, just drag it to the working side of you MBP screen, tab arrangement and then drag the blue screen with menu bar to other side.

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

tokenmatch, first of all -- welcome to MacRumors!

Second, ow! That's painful. Depending on the value of your MBP these days and your ability to do somewhat delicate work (tiny screws, follow exacting instructions, etc.) to replace the LCD, you might still be able to repair it yourself if you don't mind buying a new LCD for a couple hundred bucks and doing the work yourself to replace it.

Third, consider anger management counseling or class -- it might ultimately be cheaper for you in the long run that way, including for future devices. :D I'm kidding, but if know you're prone to these sorts of tantrums and if you're not also independently wealthy, then, well...

5. Bevz macrumors 6502a

If you have AppleCare i doubt it'll be covered, but perhaps you could ring apple and ask them how much they would charge to repair it for you? or ring up your local authorised repair centre directly and see how much they charge?

Also check your house insurance... Mine covers accidental damage to electrical items like laptops, i think i pay £50 excess, but anything above that (up to about £2k per item), they will pay!

6. Betelgeuse macrumors member

One solution is just to turn on screen mirroring (in the Display settings), but it's often hard to get the screen resolutions right.

If you have an external keyboard and mouse, try this. Plug the keyboard, mouse, and external monitor into your machine. Boot the machine and let it come up. Now, close the lid of your laptop and it will go into a power-saving mode. If you then hit one of the keys on the external keyboard, your laptop should wake up and the external screen should now be your primary screen.