need help quick- how to use wifi without roaming charges

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

hi,

I'm on my way to Israel now, and I want to be able to use wifi on my iPhone at Internet cafes. However, I'm afraid that if I turn off airplane mode, then ill immediatley get slammed with roaming charges. Any ideas for a solution?

Much thanks,

Ellis

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I'm sure roaming charges are only in effect if you use the phone service (ie. calls,sms,EDGE)

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If your iPhone is jailbroken you can download an app to turn off EDGE, and hope that nobody calls/texts you.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yep, that's the right approach. You need to suppress your phone's EDGE data usage while roaming. Once you do that you can use Wi-Fi all you want to.

5. nyboilermaker macrumors member

Has anyone done any homework on the "Data Roaming" switch turned off. Does that shutdown all EDGE function except for voice and txt messages?

-NYB

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

I went to Europe and turned the Data Roaming switch off. I could still receive calls and texts just fine, but could not use maps, weather, or anything else except when on WiFi (as expected). I came home after a whole month in London and did not have a single extra charge other than texts. In fact, the bill for the whole month for my and my wife's phone was only about $250.

7. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just take your sim card out?. You can still use all the features including Wifi.

8. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

Hello from yisrael!

I'm on wifi now, I set mail to "manual", and data roaming off... I should be okay, right? How could I get charged with anything extra? I'm doing a lot of traveling and I'd rather not lose the SIM card, though that was a good idea... Does everyone think that the way I'm doing it is safe? Thanks

9. silbeej macrumors 6502a

YEah, just turn off data roaming in the settings, and you should be all set. Beyond that, i think you need to hope that no one calls you, for then you might get charged, unless yuo have an interenational calling plan, but no data.