Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So my white macbooks hard drive broke along with my cd drive. I purchased a new hard drive and put it in but now I have no way to install Leopard since my cd drive is broke.

I do understand the best way would be to buy an external CD drive and use that but I would rather not waste all that money on one use.

I do have a firewire cable and my friend has a white macbook. I've heard that you can boot using another computer and use there cd drive via firewire by holding "T" or whatever.

Its very confusing and was wondering if somebody could help me with a guide or some steps on how to use another macbooks cd drive on my broken mac so i can fix mine. any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Holding down "T" during boot enables target disk mode.

Thing is, to use Target Disk mode, you already have to have an OS installed. Your best bet is to either purchase a cheap external drive, make a disc image of leopard and do this using an external hard drive/large USB stick, or buy a new internal drive/borrow one from somebody else's MB whose trusting enough.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Holding down "T" during boot enables target disk mode.

Thing is, to use Target Disk mode, you already have to have an OS installed. Your best bet is to either purchase a cheap external drive, make a disc image of leopard and do this using an external hard drive/large USB stick, or buy a new internal drive/borrow one from somebody else's MB whose trusting enough.

dang well i guess Target Disk mode is out of the question since that new hard drive doesnt have an OS on it.

what can i do now?
so confusing

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
dang well i guess Target Disk mode is out of the question since that new hard drive doesnt have an OS on it.

what can i do now?
so confusing
Did you check out the link I gave you?

Seeing how you don't want to buy an external DVD drive ($60 or so) you have 3 choices.

1) Use an external hard dish drive/USB stick drive as a DVD-drive substitute.
2) Borrow your friend's internal drive for a day.
3) Buy a new internal drive.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Did you check out the link I gave you?

Seeing how you don't want to buy an external DVD drive ($60 or so) you have 3 choices.

1) Use an external hard dish drive/USB stick drive as a DVD-drive substitute.
2) Borrow your friend's internal drive for a day.
3) Buy a new internal drive.

I just looked at the link. Looks fairly simple. I have a 500GB external hard drive via USB so I guess I will try that. The only problem is this. I can do all those steps in the link on my friends mac but then how do I use the external hard drive on the (No operating sysytem mac)? just plug it in and boot it up normally or what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.