Need help re-installing safari

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tech0925, Jan 21, 2012.

1. tech0925 macrumors member

tech0925

Ok, safari was acting stupid and crashing alot. I deleted safari from the applications folder and even removed the safari folder from the library. I downloaded safari again from apple and when trying to install I get this error:

You cannot install Safari on this volume. This volume already has a newer version of Safari installed.

I don't know why it thinks I still have safari b/c I deleted it. What am I missing? I even did a repair disk permissions and rebooted. Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You need to reinstall your OS or move the exact same version of the Safari.app from some other install ( a friend or other Mac) to your /Applications folder and repair permissions. This will more or less get things back.
    WebKit and Safari are used throughout the entire OS. The parent app and the core OS versions need to be the same. If you don't want to go through the hassle you could run WebKit as your browser and wait till a patch. You could also use Pacifist to extract the Safari.app installer from the OS installer package and re-install that way but you'll need to run all system updates prior to re-launching the new Safari. Personally I'd just run the OS installer and patch up. Don't want to miss anything for future updaters.

3. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thank you for this information! So are you saying I can load the os disk and pull the safari app off of it without having to re-install my os. I really don't want to re-install my os.

Thanks! :D

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Go here first and read up:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110722154439693

I'm guessing you can't install Safari because you still have a "receipt" that indicates to the OS that it's already installed (and perhaps updated by Software Update) -- hence the alert that you already have "a newer version"...

I would try this (in the order presented)
    - Find and delete the receipts for Safari
    - Download a fresh version of Safari from Apple
    - Try installing the freshly-downloaded version

5. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Have you ever done this before on OS X? It is super easy and takes little time and everything is the the same after as it is an "Archive and Install" by default nowadays.
    I am unsure that removing just the receipt will trick the installer. That works with some apps but I can't remember if it failed with Safari core for the reasons I posted earlier. Can't hurt to try as you always have the re-install option.

6. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

I checked that out and I am guessing the issue I have is that I have leopard and not snow leopard. I turned on hidden files and just can't find a folder that says receipt anywhere. Any idea where it may be?

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

HD/Library/Receipts

All versions of OS X have it in the same area.
    No Safari for me though. BSD and Core and some 3rd party are all I have listed on 10.6.8.

8. tech0925 thread starter macrumors member

tech0925

Thanks! I found the files deleted them, rebooted but it still can see the old version some how. Oh well...Any more ideas other than the disk?