Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Hi,

I had to reformat my machine and re-install to recover a problem. I ended up with this config. Container 2 is using ~150GB of space I want to reclaim and combine into the main root volume.

I tried...
  • to delete container disk2. won't work
  • I tried to kill the partition but can't resize it
  • I read somewhere you can't change the container size unless it's the first container so I was thinking I could restore "NewMac2018 into container disk2 and delete 1 but it won't restore and get some "failure inverting volume" error.
How can I get my full disk back? what if I create a disk image of NewMac2018, wipe the drive, restore from recovery console. is that even possible of I format the entire disk? restore that disk image?

any other ideas?

upload_2018-11-5_12-39-28.png

upload_2018-11-5_12-50-34.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is the container #2 gone if you choose the Apple SSD SM0256 line, then erase?
(I think you will be able to do that only if you are booted to internet recovery, or booted to another external drive)

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Is the container #2 gone if you choose the Apple SSD SM0256 line, then erase?
(I think you will be able to do that only if you are booted to internet recovery, or booted to another external drive)

do you mean like this? I do have an erase one level up but I'm afraid to click it as it will erase my boot volume and all my data?
upload_2018-11-5_13-46-53.png

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, you will erase the drive, and all its containers by choosing the "APPLE SSD SM026..."
I don't know if that is the only solution, but it's one solution.
If you have files and apps that you don't have backed up somewhere else, do that backup first, as you would lose those items when you erase the device completely. So, erase APPLE SSD, then reinstall macOS, and restore your data/files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.