Need Help Recording In Garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SirJackFrank, Feb 24, 2009.

1. SirJackFrank macrumors newbie

Well this has probably been discussed a million times but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
    Need help recording the sounds from my alesis micron onto my mac. Not midi, I don't need to use it as a controller, I just want to record the sounds. I know I need a cord to hook the line-in from the micron to the mac line-in and I turned the monitor on in garageband, but it still isn't working for me.:confused:
    Any help or any ideas would be much appreciated!!

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Please don't create duplicate threads.

Have you tried opening System Preferences > Sound > Input and then selecting "Line-In?"

3. SirJackFrank thread starter macrumors newbie

Ofcourse! That was the first thing i did. Sorry i didn't say that.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Are you sure you plugged it into the right jack? (i.e. headphone vs mic). That can really make a difference :p. Does Garageband still register your voice when you talk through the internal mic?

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The best way to debug this is to swap equipment around and see which gear the problem sticks with. Or another way to think of it is that if you have a complex system that is broken you cut it in half and then look to see which half is broken and continue by cutting the broken half in half and so on.

Pull the cable out of the Mac's line-in and see if it will drive a powered speaker. Plug and iPod or something into the Mac and see if you can record that. Try using different software

6. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Usually midi controllers just work, but try setting it up as an aggregate device and see if that helps.