Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muddblood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Hello all. I am using an old iPhone 3GS and I recently deleted some photo's that I would like to get back.

I've search for 3 days and nothing seems to address my specific issue. I was able to download and install a 3rd party app to my PC called Fonelab, and it was able to locate the deleted photo's. However, it cannot restore the photo's unless I purchase the full version at $79 USD. I did not backup my phone while those photo's were on it, so restoring from iTunes or iCloud is not an option.

So my thought is if the 3rd party software can find the photo's, they are still on my phone. The app found them and displayed the name of the photo's as Deleted_000XX.jpg, and the free version displayed a thumbnail of the photo's. I've tried a couple other programs, and none can find them. I've tried using a few different iPhone file explorers and they too cannot find them. I've read that if I jailbreak my phone, I can use software to look at the root file structure, which MAY allow me to find these "Deleted" photo's and possibly recover them. I would rather not do this as my phone is factory unlocked (although I guess it doesn't really matter anymore as they are not updating this phone anymore). I was wondering if there is ANY other possible way to recover these photos? I was also wondering if jailbreaking the phone will cause any loss of data? Thanks in advance for any help!!

muddblood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
So a brief update...I backed up my phone (3GS) both to my local (work) PC and iCloud. The Fonelab software found the photo's in the local backup. I then restored that backup to an iPhone4 that was given to me, but when I scan the iPhone4 with Fonelab, it does not find the deleted photo's. I am certain if I jailbreak the 3GS, I'll lose the photo's as it will be erased/wiped. I am NOT sure if the backup will put them back on the phone once restored. Guess I need to keep messing around...I KNOW there is an answer, without having to buy the software!!!

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Hello all. I am using an old iPhone 3GS and I recently deleted some photo's that I would like to get back.

I've search for 3 days and nothing seems to address my specific issue. I was able to download and install a 3rd party app to my PC called Fonelab, and it was able to locate the deleted photo's. However, it cannot restore the photo's unless I purchase the full version at $79 USD. I did not backup my phone while those photo's were on it, so restoring from iTunes or iCloud is not an option.

So my thought is if the 3rd party software can find the photo's, they are still on my phone. The app found them and displayed the name of the photo's as Deleted_000XX.jpg, and the free version displayed a thumbnail of the photo's. I've tried a couple other programs, and none can find them. I've tried using a few different iPhone file explorers and they too cannot find them. I've read that if I jailbreak my phone, I can use software to look at the root file structure, which MAY allow me to find these "Deleted" photo's and possibly recover them. I would rather not do this as my phone is factory unlocked (although I guess it doesn't really matter anymore as they are not updating this phone anymore). I was wondering if there is ANY other possible way to recover these photos? I was also wondering if jailbreaking the phone will cause any loss of data? Thanks in advance for any help!!

If you have those photos inside local iPhone backups, try extract them with iBackupBot. It should be free.

muddblood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Thanks. I installed iBackupBot on the PC with my iTunes backup and I am not able do locate the photos...unless I am missing something. And yes, it is free, but an annoying popup when you try to open anything. But who cares? It's free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.